Research Associate Position

Blacksburg, Virginia
Up to $50,000 plus full benefits
April 04 2018
Virginia Tech posting# SR0180044
Position Type
Full Time
Organization Type

Postdoctoral/Research Associate Position in Enzymology

Virginia Tech seeks to fill a Research Associate position in the laboratory of Dr. Pablo Sobrado in the Department of Biochemistry. The Sobrado laboratory ( studies the mechanism of action, structure, and inhibition of selected flavin-dependent enzymes. The laboratory currently focuses on UDP-galactopyranode mutases from eukaryotic pathogens to target cell wall biosynthesis and flavin-dependent monooxygenases, essential for siderophore biosynthesis, to block iron acquisition in Mycobacterium tuberculosis and Aspergillus fumigatus. The research associate will conduct research on high-throughput screening, hits validation, elucidation of the mechanism of inhibition, and structural characterization. In addition, the candidate is expected to be involved in mentoring/training graduate and undergraduate students. Applicants are expected to work independently, assist in project design and data analysis, author manuscripts for peer review, and present at national/international conferences. Applicants must have completed a recent Ph.D. in biochemistry, organic chemistry, or a closely related field before starting this appointment. Prior expertise in enzymology or protein chemistry, is also required. Applicants must demonstrate outstanding communication skills via a strong record of peer-reviewed publications and presentations. Experience in any of the following areas is highly desirable: x-ray crystallography, high-throughput screening, and organic synthesis. For a complete listing of position qualifications and to apply, please visit, and search for posting #
SR0180044. Review of applications will begin April 20, 2018 and will continue until the position is filled. Please contact Dr. Pablo Sobrado at for questions or additional information.

Virginia Tech is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.

If you are an individual with a disability and desire accommodation please contact the hiring department or contact University ADA Services with any questions.