Senior Clinical Veterinarian
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. The difference between potential and achievement lies in the spark that fuels innovation and inventiveness; this is the space where Merck has codified its legacy for over a century. Merck’s success is backed by ethical integrity, forward momentum, and an inspiring mission to achieve new milestones in global healthcare.
Merck is on a quest for cures and is committed to being the world’s premier, most research-intensive biopharmaceutical company. Today, we’re doubling down on this goal. Merck Research Laboratories is a true scientific research facility of tomorrow, and will take Merck’s leading discovery capabilities and world-class small molecule and biologics R&D expertise to create breakthrough science that radically changes the way we approach serious diseases.
The Principal Scientist, Clinical Services (Veterinarian) under minimal direction and supervision provides clinical care, surgical support and preventative medicine programs for all species; consultation and collaboration with investigative staff for development of innovative translational models to impact drug development and discovery and improve human health; development and training of technical staff.
- Provides clinical veterinary care consistent with professional standards and assures compliance with all federal, state and local laws, regulations and guidelines for animal care and use.
- Independently plan, organize and direct the health care and maintenance of research animals and provide leadership and technical expertise to staff.
- Collaborates with Investigators during the development and conduct of animal research programs.
- Uses technical and scientific expertise to plan, conduct and summarize complex nonclinical studies and projects and participates in scientific discussions surrounding drug development and the animal model development.
- Provide leadership and oversight on Operating Procedures (SOPs), regulatory guidance’s (GXPs), safety guidance’s and company policies and procedures.
- Determines possible solutions to difficult technical issues and, after consultation with the appropriate staff implements these solutions.
- Uses judgement to identify and solve problems of moderate complexity.
- Collaborates with peers within and outside of the department.
- Independently balance multiple projects.
- Train directly and/or manage training program for training research staff in humane methods of animal care including but not limited to:
- Surgery and restraint of animals, as well as the proper use of anesthetics and analgesics.
- Demonstrates advanced knowledge of drug development process across key functional areas and demonstrates advanced skills. May apply knowledge across multiple therapeutic or technical areas.
- The ideal candidate will collaboratively contribute to research study design, data interpretation and presentation of conclusions and recommendations.
- Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (DVM, VMD) OR a certificate of equivalent training accepted by the AVMA
- Minimum of (2) years' experience in laboratory animal medicine or completion of a training program in laboratory animal medicine
- Completion of a residence program in laboratory animal medicine
- 2 years of work experience in industry or academia
- Advanced degree (MS, PhD)
- ACLAM Board eligible/Board certified
Your role at Merck is integral to helping the world meet new breakthroughs that affect generations to come, and we’re counting on your skills and inventiveness to help make meaningful contributions to global medical advancement. At Merck, we’re inventing for life.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to email@example.com.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
Job: Laboratory Animal Vet (D.V.M.)
Employee Status: Regular
Travel: Yes, 5 % of the Time
Number of Openings:
Shift (if applicable):
Company Trade Name: Merck