Chair, Department of Biomedical Sciences
Chair, Department of Biomedical Sciences, CMSRU
Cooper Medical School of Rowan University (CMSRU) is seeking a dynamic leader and accomplished scientist to serve as Chair of the Department of Biomedical Sciences at CMSRU. Reporting to the Dean, the Chair of the Department of Biomedical Sciences is responsible for the effective management of the department’s academic, research and administrative responsibilities.
The Chair provides leadership and vision to the department to further the teaching, research and training missions at CMSRU. He/she participates in the recruitment of new faculty and serves as a role model for and represents the faculty and department.
Rowan University recently committed $50 million for biomedical research at CMSRU to build upon CMSRU’s strong reputation and strengthen Camden’s ‘eds and meds’ corridor as an important destination for medical and bioscience research, and is in keeping with our recent designation as a Carnegie research institution. The Chair will play a leading role in propelling the medical school to achieve prominence in biomedical research and will have the opportunity to make a major impact on CMSRU’s future direction and success in research. He/she must possess a proven track record of research funding and be able to lead the faculty as they advance funded research programs.
As the primary leader of the Department of Biomedical Sciences, the Chair will be expected to administer the affairs of the academic unit and to serve as liaison between the faculty and the Dean. A commitment to supporting innovation is essential, as is a record of valuing academic excellence at all levels.
- Promote the mission of CMSRU; work collaboratively with other institutional leaders and colleagues to develop and advance the goals of CMSRU and Rowan University
- Foster excellence in teaching and education. Ensure the highest quality educational experience for undergraduate education. Contribute to the development and implementation of the curriculum. Assign faculty appropriately to cover curricular needs
- Cultivate and support significant growth in the research mission of CMSRU. Motivate faculty in research endeavors; encourage and nurture collaborative and interdisciplinary relationships with other colleges within Rowan university, as well as other institutions and community partners; interface with Associate Dean of Research on issues of grant/contract administration and regulatory compliance
- Recruit and retain talented faculty to fulfill the needs and missions of the Department and CMSRU
- Manage the departmental budget
- Mentor and support faculty in their pursuit of teaching and research excellence, and advise faculty regarding progress toward promotion and/or tenure
- Serve as an advisor to the Dean; make recommendations to the Dean and senior CMSRU leadership as needed regarding departmental resources
- Represent Department as requested internally or to external institutions, organizations and agencies
- Encourage and Support diversity creating an environment of professionalism, respect, tolerance and acceptance
Qualifications and Characteristics:
- A terminal Degree (MD or PhD) from an accredited institution
- Academic rank at the level of Professor
- A record of distinguished research, publications, scholarly activities and evidence of strong leadership in his/her field with sustained productivity in extramurally funded basic, translational or clinical research
- Administrative experience in medical educational including teaching, mentoring, faculty development, budgeting, assessment, and demonstrated achievement in research project and program development
- Leadership skills that include collegiality and respect along with excellence in problem solving, collaboration and achieving targeted goals
- Highest ethical standards and integrity. A commitment to diversity in the recruitment, development and retention of faculty, staff and students
- Exemplary interpersonal and communicate skills; ability to communicate effectively in a culturally and ethnically diverse community
- Proven leadership roles at an LCME-accredited institution
- An understanding of challenges and key issues that confront academic institutions in research and undergraduate medical education
- A strategic vision on how to lead and propel the Department of Biomedical Sciences forward
- Knowledge of managerial accounting
Advertised: Mar 28 2018 Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: Apr 30 2018 11:55 PM Eastern Daylight Time