Marketing Director, Launch Excellence
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. The difference between potential and achievement lies in the spark that fuels innovation and inventiveness; this is the space where Merck has codified its legacy for over a century. Merck’s success is backed by ethical integrity, forward momentum, and an inspiring mission to achieve new milestones in global healthcare.
Merck’s Global Human Health (GHH) Division abides by a “patient first, profits later” ideology. Results-driven and ambitious, this team of individuals represents a functional balance between meeting company objectives and the needs of people around the world. The organization is comprised of sales and marketing professionals who are passionate about their role in bringing Merck's prescription medicines, vaccines, and other medical products to our customers worldwide.
The Global Launch Excellence Director leads the initiative to optimize overall performance of global launches (New Chemical Enitities, clones, etc.) in alignment with principles of the new Global Marketing organization and objectives around Marketing of the Future. This position will be a transformational leadership role intended to bridge Marketing Excellence and Launch Planning capabilities into Launch Excellence. This role will own such capabilities as iLaunch, Launch Excellence Playbook, Launch excellence Forum, Best Practices, etc. and build upon these capabilities to further drive performance. Launch Excellence will encompass all the current Launch Planning capabilities and create strong linkages into Launch Strategy to ensure the development of World Class capabilities to ensure the best possible launch trajectory of our brands and franchises. The role will require a keen understanding of our franchises and regional differences as well as launching a NCE, clones and launch portfolio approach globally. The position will support Global Marketing and MSD-International strategic priorities by providing senior level consulting to these businesses. The role will also require an understanding of Enterprise Divisional Launch Excellence requirements and have the ability to work with MRL, MMD as well as GHH. Driving divisional performance requires providing critical leadership,direction, and tactical project management. Reporting into the Marketing Excellence Team within Global Marketing Operations, this role will have the responsibility to constantly strive towards Launch Excellence and constantly seek ways to provide industry-leading practices and innovation.
Essential functions include, but are not limited to:
- Sets aspirational goals for achieving Launch Excellence
- Excellent listening skills to understand Launch needs of the business
- Understands launch strategy, tactical development and the processes needed to manage launch complexity
- Identify opportunities to drive innovation and create new/enhanced organizational capabilities
- Provides oversight of planning process to ensure plans are comprehensive and strategically aligned
- Effective team leadership to ensure common understanding of strategic vision and departmental direction
- Encouraging cross-functional sharing of Best Practices
- Ability to lead without direct reporting lines
- Understand the Enterprise needs to achieve Launch excellence
Successful candidates will have excellent leadership skills as demonstrated by:
- Considers cross-functional enterprise, divisional, business and geographic implications before making business decisions
- Effective collaboration skills to align multiple groups around a single objective
- Understands the needs of the internal and external customers to serve them better
- Aligns brand/franchise strategic direction with launch planning to ensure pull-through of strategic choices
- Identifies critical areas to prioritize, add value, drive innovation and focuses the team's efforts appropriately and efficiently
- Is able to align others around a positive direction
- Takes the initiative in generating innovative ideas that capitalize on opportunities
- Manages effectively in uncertain or ambiguous situations
- Understanding of, and ability to navigate multiple Merck business processes
- Builds strong relationships within and across functions to understand CBL and geographic business needs
- Fully develops his/her functional/technical skills
- Required: Bachelor's Degree
- Preferred: Advanced degree, e.g. MS or MBA
- Minimum of 10 years experience in consulting, marketing and/or sales.
- In-depth working knowledge of MERCK MARKETING, strategic processes and GHH sales and marketing strategies (Franchises and geographies) are required.
- Sound judgment
- Good business and strategic acumen
- strong negotiating abilities
- Project planning/management and follow-up skills
- Ability to work with and guide multiple levels within the division
- Excellent oral and written communications skills
- Analytical abilities
Your role at Merck is integral to helping the world meet new breakthroughs that affect generations to come, and we’re counting on your skills and inventiveness to help make meaningful contributions to global medical advancement. At Merck, we’re inventing for life.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
Job: Global Marketing
Employee Status: Regular
Travel: Yes, 20 % of the Time
Number of Openings:
Shift (if applicable):
Company Trade Name: Merck