Customer Representative – Chronic Care
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. The difference between potential and achievement lies in the spark that fuels innovation and inventiveness; this is the space where Merck has codified its legacy for over a century. Merck’s success is backed by ethical integrity, forward momentum, and an inspiring mission to achieve new milestones in global healthcare.
Merck’s Global Human Health (GHH) Division abides by a “patient first, profits later” ideology. Results-driven and ambitious, this team of individuals represents a functional balance between meeting company objectives and the needs of people around the world. The organization is comprised of sales and marketing professionals who are passionate about their role in bringing Merck's prescription medicines, vaccines, and other medical products to our customers worldwide.
The Chronic Care Representative (CCR) sells to customers by providing clinical information on relevant Merck products, as well as education and resources. They do this to support customer needs in an effort to help the Health Care Practitioner meet their patients’ goals. The Chronic Care Representative (CCR) is the primary point of contact for a variety of customers within their assigned geography. These customers may include: health care providers such as physicians, nurses, pharmacists as well as quality directors and office managers. Within their geography there are a diverse set of health care locations that they will call upon in order to execute their role including: physicians’ offices, integrated delivery systems, and hospital clinics. The Chronic Care Rep is a key member of the local Customer Team that works collaboratively with other Merck field based employees such as the Account Executives (AEs), Integration Delivery Systems (IDS) leaders as well as other members of the Merck extended team.
The primary activities include but are not limited to the following:
- Developing a territory level business plan in accordance with Merck policies, standards and ethics.
- Maintaining product knowledge and certification on the Merck portfolio for which they are responsible.
- Engaging in balanced product sales discussions with Health Care Providers and Health Care Business Professionals to align customer needs and Merck products in accordance with product labeling. This is achieved by keeping apprised of professional and health care environment knowledge through self-study of company-provided scientific, product and marketplace information, attendance at product workshops and conferences, as well as consistent and ongoing review of Merck promotional materials
- Providing Merck management with updates on customer needs as it relates to helping them improve patient health outcomes, customer feedback, marketplace dynamics, and progress towards quality goals.
- Providing customers with key insights by keeping apprised of professional and health care environment knowledge through self-study of company-provided scientific, product and marketplace information, attendance at product workshops and conferences, as well as consistent and ongoing review of Merck promotional materials.
- Regularly monitoring their business performance against objectives using company provided tools.
- Within select customer accounts, acts as primary point of contact for the customer, meet with key customers/personnel to maintain understanding of their current practice structure, business model, and key influencers (Managed Care Organization/payers, employers, state policy), and their patients’ needs. Identifies business opportunities and makes information available to relevant stakeholders to support the identified customer needs.
- For select customer accounts, coordinate with Merck customer team (Account Executives, Integrated Delivery System team, Solutions support teams, etc.) to outline customer strategy for interactions/relationships aimed at improving customer and patient support.
This territory covers: Mobile, AL
The ideal location to reside is within this territory.
Travel (%) varies based on candidate’s location within the geography.
- Required: BA/BS
- Preferred: MBA/MS
- Demonstrated strong ability to build trust with customers and demonstrate value in selling situations through high-quality interactions which are focused on products/solutions with the common goal of improving health outcomes.
- Demonstrated strong ability to divide customer population into groups of individuals who share similar characteristics and buying behaviors, and apply this information to focus on groups effectively, allocate promotional resources, and drive execution of commercial plans.
- Demonstrated strong ability to understand customer’s business climate, assess overall market potential, identify and prioritize unique opportunities and business risks in local markets, develop territory plans and follow up to drive business results in assigned geography or market.
- Demonstrated strong ability to understand multiple interdependencies within an account, consider customer healthcare goals and needs, and maximize account performance by building long-term relationships through collaborative business planning processes and approaches.
- Demonstrated strong ability to convey technical concepts accurately and clearly
- Demonstrated high degree of tenacity to drive and achieve strong measurable results
- Demonstrated strong ability to overcomes setbacks to meet or exceed objectives
- Demonstrated strong pursuit of opportunities to learn and apply new skills to support the business
- Demonstrated strong ability to be innovative by utilizing new or existing technologies
- Demonstrated strong ability to use data to analyze trends to drive business results
- Valid Driver's license
- Demonstrated strong understanding of Marketing/Sales &/or Marketing/Sales Support Functions/Operations
Your role at Merck is integral to helping the world meet new breakthroughs that affect generations to come, and we’re counting on your skills and inventiveness to help make meaningful contributions to global medical advancement. At Merck, we’re inventing for life.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
Job: Direct Sales Generic
Employee Status: Regular
Travel: Yes, 75 % of the Time
Number of Openings:
Shift (if applicable):
Company Trade Name: Merck