Associate Director, Project & Business Performance Metrics & Analytics
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. The difference between potential and achievement lies in the spark that fuels innovation and inventiveness; this is the space where Merck has codified its legacy for over a century. Merck’s success is backed by ethical integrity, forward momentum, and an inspiring mission to achieve new milestones in global healthcare.
Merck is on a quest for cures and is committed to being the world’s premier, most research-intensive biopharmaceutical company. Today, we’re doubling down on this goal. Merck Research Laboratories is a true scientific research facility of tomorrow, and will take Merck’s leading discovery capabilities and world-class small molecule and biologics R&D expertise to create breakthrough science that radically changes the way we approach serious diseases.
The Project & Business Performance Metrics Manager is a member of the Global Regulatory and Clinical Safety (GRACS) Business Operations & Strategy Team. This role is critical to the execution and delivery of an integrated approach to a GRACS metrics platform inclusive of clear and concise performance, quality and compliance metrics aimed at driving continuous process improvement across GRACS.
Under the guidance of the Director, GRACS Business Operations and in collaboration with the Director, GRACS Business Performance & Metrics Management, the incumbent is responsible for executing a prioritized, aligned and fully integrated performance metrics strategy for GRACS. The Project & Metrics Manager role collaborates with stakeholders across GRACS to assess needs, develop business requirements and translate requirements into the development and maintenance of a metrics platform that will promote a strong culture of compliance and business performance transparency across our functionally and geographically diverse organization. Routine active engagement with Leadership across the GRACS organization, as well as collaboration with other internal and external functions (e.g., Finance, IT, Procurement) is required to develop and execute strategies to support ongoing business needs.
Core responsibilities include and are not limited to the following:
- Assist in defining a strategy to consolidate, organize and build GRACS wide dashboards/reports.
- Collaborate with key GRACS stakeholders to define and document stakeholder needs into tangible business requirements , for metrics, visuals and reports
- Conduct qualitative and quantitative analysis to assess ongoing business performance
- Collaborate with business system owners and IT to extract, clean and manipulate data from multiple systems into reporting objects for analysis. Performs data mining, trend and predictive analysis and statistical analysis leading to decision support capabilities
- Analyze business process efficiency and effectiveness and develop recommended mitigation strategies. Lead the development of various views and visible displays to effectively communicate GRACS business process and compliance performance
- Ensure alignment of prioritized metrics with broader MRL and GRACS Quality Management strategy
- Collaborate with Business Process Leads and GRACS and MRL Quality organization in the continual evaluation of business performance
The incumbent should have the following Leadership Capabilities:
- Be skilled in effectively managing virtual teams and have ability to influence both horizontally and vertically
- Drive to engage others, and have excellent interpersonal, communication and leadership skills
- Ability to influence and partner with global stakeholders to define/develop the appropriate business metrics to enable informed decision making.
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Minimum of 8 years’ combined and diverse experience in Business Analytics, Statistics, Project Management &/or Operations, with demonstrated record of solid achievements.
- Experience in working with Data visualization tools such as Spotfire, building interactive reports, complex dashboards for different audiences, creating calculated KPIs or metrics by writing complex formulas.
- Excellent communication skills (written and oral communication)
- Experience working in both strategic and tactical space, across executive and operational levels in the organization
- Strong sense of urgency and leadership abilities
- Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships with the different functional areas and geographies and work cross functionally as part of a team
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple priorities
- Demonstrated ability to network, collaborate, and communicate across cultures, organizational levels and disciplines
- Demonstrated success on independently leading/delivering on project objectives
- Working knowledge of Global Regulatory and/or Clinical Safety organizational structures
- Certification (Project Management, Change Management &/or Lean Six Sigma)
- Advanced Degree
Your role at Merck is integral to helping the world meet new breakthroughs that affect generations to come, and we’re counting on your skills and inventiveness to help make meaningful contributions to global medical advancement. At Merck, we’re inventing for life.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to email@example.com.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
Job: Regulatory Affairs Generic
Employee Status: Regular
Travel: Yes, 5 % of the Time
Number of Openings:
Shift (if applicable):
Company Trade Name: Merck