Associate Director Market Research, Global Oncology
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. The difference between potential and achievement lies in the spark that fuels innovation and inventiveness; this is the space where Merck has codified its legacy for over a century. Merck’s success is backed by ethical integrity, forward momentum, and an inspiring mission to achieve new milestones in global healthcare.
Merck’s Global Human Health (GHH) Division abides by a “patient first, profits later” ideology. Results-driven and ambitious, this team of individuals represents a functional balance between meeting company objectives and the needs of people around the world. The organization is comprised of sales and marketing professionals who are passionate about their role in bringing Merck's prescription medicines, vaccines, and other medical products to our customers worldwide.
The Market Research Associate Director will be a main point of contact for the Keytruda PD1 Marketing/Commercial Team within the Oncology Franchise. The position will plan, manage, and execute a scope of work in Oncology Market Research that spans multiple indications and both pre-launch and post-launch projects. Responsible for providing strategic input to the extended global team via primary market research projects, secondary data analysis and adhoc
requests by proactively identifying strategic insights, answering key business questions, and applying all available resources to produce actionable business solutions and recommendations.
- Requires a strong understanding of primary market research methodologies and secondary data sets (minimum of 3 years), with new product launch and multiple customer segments within the specialty arena experience preferred.
- Past Market Pharmaceutical Commercial roles (Sales, Marketing, Access/Reimbursement etc) and/or early indications experience is preferred.
- Experience in Oncology or other specialty therapies is strongly preferred.
- This individual is expected to be an exceptional team player who can comfortably interact with and add value to the existing team of multiple market research team members working on Keytruda and who also can comfortably partner with extended oncology team members including pricing and access, sales, marketing, and other market research colleagues responsible for specific indications.
- The individual should also be able to pro-actively identify business opportunities for both Keytruda and the Oncology Franchise.
- At the same time, the Associate Director will have demonstrated consistently strong leadership skills with an ability to work independently in a rapidly changing environment with a transformational mindset, cultural awareness, and resiliency to change that enables them to effectively produce results for individual areas of responsibility.
Key responsibilities include and are not limited to the following:
- Develop and oversee execution of an assigned portion of the global market research plan and timeline for all aspects of Keytruda with a strategic mindset and minimal supervision.
- Leadership and/or involvement in primary market research projects for Keytruda including framing critical business questions, identification of information needs, identifying considerations from other data sources, development of research/analysis plans and management of the research process to deliver an objective understanding of key customers, competitors, products and current/future market developments.
- Implement market research studies & manage budget of projects; brief agencies to deliver what is required especially strategic business insights in a compliant manner– understands vendor capabilities, quality requirements, and recommends innovative options.
- Articulate the rationale, hypotheses, and methodology of research approaches to both the manager and the franchise/ client team proactively and ensure the business objectives are met and communicated in an effective way.
- Explore alternative/creative ways of meeting an information need, considering new techniques alongside more traditional approaches to more quickly and efficiently address business requests.
- Complete complex analyses using available secondary data, syndicated reports and databases and integrates findings into primary market research efforts to tell and evolve the "story".
- Proactively communicate and facilitate discussion with Marketing/Commercial Teams to ensure that insights are considered in decision-making and planning; integrates a variety of sources/studies to present strategic options to the extended team; provides consultative guidance to Marketing/Commercial Team(s).
- Collaborate proactively with cross-functional business partners including marketing communications, market access colleagues, commercial team, and the advertising agency to ensure optimal integration for the launch and post-launch activities.
- Assist with analysis to inform the strategic assumptions that are built into brand forecasts and tracking of key performance indicators and benchmarking dashboards.
- Independently manage competing priorities and demands from within a product team/franchise applying best practices and innovative techniques maximize value and actionable output.
- Take full ownership of understanding the business challenge/information needs, considers alternatives, proposes appropriate method/approach, applies best practices, and proactively considers and/or develops new techniques and innovations to meet objectives.
- Work on and lead adhoc franchise wide initiatives and/or projects as needed.
Education Minimum Requirement:
- Required: BA/BS
Required Experience and Skills:
- Minimum of (3) years experience in Pharmaceutical US Market Research experience using both primary and secondary data sets
- Past roles supporting sales, forecasting, access and pricing, marketing, competitive intelligence, early indications
- Knowledge of Oncology or other Specialty Therapy areas as well as prior experience on a Global Launch
- Well developed analytical skills, strong problem-solving and demonstrated ability to think strategically and objectively
- Orientation toward collaboration/ team work, ability to lead teams in execution of market research, interest in ongoing learning
- Demonstrates strong leadership skills around customer focus, decision making, courage & candor, and fostering collaboration
- Ability and comfort in prioritizing and managing multiple requests from multiple marketing points and extended team members
- Ability to communicate effectively and a strong desire to lead change in terms of developing Best Practices
- 25% Travel
Preferred Experience and Skills:
- Oncology experience
- Launch preparation experience
- Familiarity with the Monitor process
- Comfort with analytics
- Ability to work tranformationally in fast paced environment
Your role at Merck is integral to helping the world meet new breakthroughs that affect generations to come, and we’re counting on your skills and inventiveness to help make meaningful contributions to global medical advancement. At Merck, we’re inventing for life.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
Job: Market Research & Analytics ONC
Employee Status: Regular
Travel: Yes, 25 % of the Time
Number of Openings:
Shift (if applicable):
Company Trade Name: Merck