Sr. Research Associate, Enzymology and Assay Development
Moderna Therapeutics is seeking a Senior Research Associate to join the Protein Sciences group at their Cambridge, MA site. The candidate will participate in both platform technology and Moderna therapeutic area projects by expressing, purifying, and characterizing recombinant proteins. Specifically, the candidate will use FPLC-based chromatographic methods for protein purification, perform standard biochemical techniques for characterization of purified proteins, and develop/execute enzymatic assays. The candidate will also represent the Protein Sciences group in internal Moderna research teams as well as external collaborations, providing a broad range of support in biochemistry, enzymology and assay development.
Here's What You'll Do:
- Test and optimize bacterial expression constructs and conditions
- Purify proteins using FPLC-based methods (e.g., affinity and ion exchange chromatography)
- Characterize proteins using standard biochemical techniques (e.g., Western blot, thermal melt, size-exclusion chromatography)
- Establish plate-based protein expression and purification methods for high-throughput engineering projects
- Develop medium- to high-throughput assays (spectrophotometric/fluorimetric, LC/MS-based, etc.) to screen enzyme libraries.
- Determine kinetic parameters for novel enzyme/substrate pairs (kcat, Km, kcat/Km)
Here's What You'll Bring to the Table:
- BS in Chemistry, Biochemistry, or Bioengineering-related field with 2-5 years of experience/MS with 0-2 years of experience
- Experience with bacterial cell culture techniques
- Experience in operating and performing basic maintenance on FPLC systems
- Experience in biochemical characterization of proteins (e.g., western blot, thermal melt)
- Experience with enzyme activity assays and enzyme kinetics
- Ability to participate in multiple collaborative projects in a cross-functional team environment
- Ability to multi-task to meet technology development and research goals
- Strong quantitative analysis skills
- At least 3 years of industry experience in protein biochemistry preferred
- Experience with design of protein expression constructs preferred
Here's What We'll Bring to the Table:
- Daily catered lunches on-site.
- Company-provided iPhone.
- Free parking, monthly subway pass or a subsidized commuter rail pass.
- Highly competitive healthcare coverage. Including: medical offered through BCBS (HMO/PPO), dental, and vision offered through VSP.
- Flexible Spending Accounts for medical expenses and dependent care expenses.
- 401k (traditional and Roth offered) with 50% match on first 6% deferred. Match is vested immediately.
- A suite of Moderna paid insurance coverage, including: life insurance, short-term and long-term disability
- Voluntary legal assistance plan
- 15 days' vacation per year, in addition to a discretionary winter shut down and 11 company paid holidays.
- Adoption assistance, competitive parental leave, discount to local childcare centers, as well as access to Care.com
Why join Moderna Therapeutics
We are pioneering a new class of medicines made of messenger RNA, or mRNA. The potential implications of using mRNA as a drug are significant and far-reaching. It could transform not only how certain diseases are treated but also how medicines are discovered, developed and manufactured - at a breadth, scale and speed not common in the biopharma industry.
Since our founding in 2011, we have built the industry's leading mRNA technology platform, the infrastructure to accelerate drug discovery and speed early development, a rapidly expanding pipeline, and an unparalleled team. Our development pipeline includes development candidates for mRNA-based vaccines and therapies spanning several therapeutic areas, and we have multiple clinical trials already underway with other development candidates progressing toward the clinic. In addition, we have a number of discovery programs that are advancing toward the development stage.
We invite you to explore our site to learn more about our company and how we are advancing the promise of mRNA science to improve health and impact lives around the world.
Deliver on the promise of mRNA science to create a new generation of transformative medicines for patients.
Moderna is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person's race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Moderna will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.