Director Virology, Infectious Diseases
We seek a talented, experienced and motivated Director to lead virology in the Moderna infectious diseases (ID) research group and potentially to lead an early development project team. The successful candidate will join a team of immunologists, structural biologists, bacteriologists and researchers that drive and deliver the preclinical in vitro and in vivo development of vaccines and antibodies based on Moderna's mRNA platform. The role includes the design and delivery of experiments, the supervision of laboratory personnel, and the analysis, interpretation and presentation of the resulting data. You will also be part of the infectious diseases leadership team that steers the whole pre-clinical portfolio and act as early development project leaders. Deep understanding is required, of the virology of infectious diseases and how it can be applied to optimize the immunogenicity, efficacy and safety of mRNA-based vaccines and antibody designs and delivery. You will work not only across the ID team but also with the Moderna's development and platform teams. The ability to effectively communicate across internal multi-disciplinary teams and with external partners is required. The candidate will need to manage multiple project in a fast and results-oriented environment.
Here's What You'll Do:
- Manage multiple projects of moderate to large size and scope involving cross-functional collaboration within Discovery and across departments. Provide scientific expertise, guidance and strategy to successfully bring programs to Go/No Go decisions.
- Lead a team of virologists and research associates to develop, optimize, validate and execute experiments to support drug discovery projects, including assay development, and running of assays for mRNA research
- Provide expert level guidance in designing and implementing virologic related studies for infectious diseases
- Ability to manage and supervise scientists to meet project timelines and teach direct reports assay and trouble shooting skills
- Develop and manage relationship with clients. Have good communication skills, especially to discuss project progress, interpret and present data to clients
- Lead external collaborations. Act as a scientific resource providing guidance and mentorship to colleagues.
Here's What You'll Bring to the Table:
- A Ph.D. degree in Virology with 5-10 years drug discovery experience at pharmaceutical, biotech or CRO
- Solid background and training in his or her own fields of studies and in conducting research using the latest drug discovery technologies and advances in science
- Managerial capabilities and good knowledge and experience in biologics and track record of making contributions to advance therapeutics from concept to proof-of concept in-vivo onto clinical candidate
Here's What We'll Bring to the Table:
- Daily on-site catered lunches .
- Company-provided iPhone.
- Free parking, monthly subway pass or a subsidized commuter rail pass.
- Highly competitive healthcare coverage. Including: medical offered through BCBS (HMO/PPO), dental, and vision offered through VSP.
- Flexible Spending Accounts for medical expenses and dependent care expenses.
- 401k (traditional and Roth offered) with 50% match on first 6% deferred. Match is vested immediately.
- A suite of Moderna paid insurance coverage, including: life insurance, short-term and long-term disability
- Voluntary legal assistance plan
- 15 days' vacation and 7 sick days per year, in addition to a discretionary winter shut down and 11 company paid holidays.
- Adoption assistance, competitive parental leave, discount to local childcare centers , as well as access to Care.com
Why join Moderna Therapeutics
We are pioneering a new class of medicines made of messenger RNA, or mRNA. The potential implications of using mRNA as a drug are significant and far-reaching. It could transform not only how certain diseases are treated but also how medicines are discovered, developed and manufactured - at a breadth, scale and speed not common in the biopharma industry.
Since our founding in 2011, we have built the industry's leading mRNA technology platform, the infrastructure to accelerate drug discovery and speed early development, a rapidly expanding pipeline, and an unparalleled team. Our development pipeline includes development candidates for mRNA-based vaccines and therapies spanning several therapeutic areas, and we have multiple clinical trials already underway with other development candidates progressing toward the clinic. In addition, we have a number of discovery programs that are advancing toward the development stage.
We invite you to explore our site to learn more about our company and how we are advancing the promise of mRNA science to improve health and impact lives around the world.
Deliver on the promise of mRNA science to create a new generation of transformative medicines for patients.
Moderna is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person's race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Moderna will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.