Associate Director, Oncology GMA – Content and Training
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. The difference between potential and achievement lies in the spark that fuels innovation and inventiveness; this is the space where Merck has codified its legacy for over a century. Merck’s success is backed by ethical integrity, forward momentum, and an inspiring mission to achieve new milestones in global healthcare.
Merck’s Oncology organization is dedicated to delivering breakthrough innovations that extend and improve the lives of cancer patients worldwide. Our team of dauntless, forward-thinking individuals achieves this through an unwavering commitment to supporting accessibility to medicine, providing new therapeutic procedures, and collaborating with governments and payers to ensure that people who need medicines have access to them. At Merck, our focus is on innovation and launch execution excellence; we translate breakthrough science into innovative medicines that help people with cancer across the globe.
The Associate Director, Oncology Global Medical Affairs – Content and Training is a core function within Oncology Global Medical Affairs and supports the achievement of our scientific and medical strategies and medicine readiness. Specifically, the incumbent will partner with the Oncology Global Medical Affairs – Global Training and Strategy Lead (GTSL) in terms of content development and project management in order to supply the Oncology Global Medical Affairs (OGMA) Team with approved materials for medical and scientific training and for use with customers (external Scientific Leaders and Key Decision Makers) to help drive the Medical Affairs Plan (MAP).
The Associate Director, OGMA – Content and Training will work across functional areas within Merck to drive the project management of new and existing medicine readiness (training) initiatives aligned to the Oncology Global Medical Affairs strategies. The role involves the development and execution of product curriculums and the identification and creation of needed resources in alignment with applicable policies and guidance documents.
- Project Management: Must possess project management expertise, operational capabilities, persuasive skills, and the ability to lead without direct authority over a continuum of stakeholders at varying band levels to assist in ensuring that the practice of meaningful and collaborative scientific exchange by the OGMA Team results in trust and value for Merck from the perspective of our Scientific Leaders and Key Decision-Makers.
- Material Creation and Approval: Drive creation, review, and approval process of OGMA Team materials as the operational partner of the OGMA – Global Training and Strategy Lead (GTSL). Be the Global Oncology Medical Affairs subject matter expert for Medical Affairs material review systems. Fully understand the Promotional Review Team (PRT) and Medical Affairs Review Team (MART) processes. Secure appropriate review time on PRT and MART agendas as needed. Provide support in ensuring appropriate training and up-to-date information is available to the OGMA Team to support their ongoing external interactions.
- Medicine Readiness Support: Through partnership with the OGMA GTSL, International Medical Leads (IMLs), Regional Directors Medical Affairs (RDMAs), and Medical Affairs Strategy Leads (MASLs), help in the development of Launch Curriculums and Emerging Data training, and maintenance of Core Curriculums. Coordinate scheduling and timelines of mentioned training plans.
- Coordination of New Hire Field Medical Training Initiatives: Partner with the OGMA GTSL, IMLs RDMAs, MSL Managers, and Medical Advisors (MAs) to get OGMA Field Medical personnel certified and ready for their job role.
- Support the development of Field Medical personnel training and education tools required to drive execution of the MAP as needed.
- Engage with External Agencies for OGMA Team material creation and optimization as needed.
- Attain proficiency in Medical Affairs material review systems. Have a clear understanding of the Promotional Review Team (PRT) and Medical Affairs Review Team (MART).
- Work with the PRT and MART Coordinator to secure appropriate review time on PRT/MART agendas.
- Engage directly and independently in high level communications in writing, on the phone, and face-to-face with internal stakeholders.
- Adhere to the compliance and regulatory procedures, working closely with Global Compliance and Legal.
- Actively engage with Oncology Global Medical Affairs (OGMA), Legal, Compliance, IML and RDMA teams, and other functional teams as needed to augment/synergize training resources as needed.
Education Minimum Requirement:
- Masters Degree in science or healthcare profession
- Minimum of (2) years therapeutic area or scientific field experience
- Therapeutic competency; stays abreast of trends and new information
- Excellent project management, verbal/written communication, presentation and consultative skills
- Experience and success in cross-functional teamwork
- Strong communication and influencing skills
- Experience creating training curricula and content
- 5 or more years in the pharmaceutical industry with prior experience in a training related function
- Medical Affairs experience/knowledge
- Basic understanding of Promotional Review Processes, i.e. ZINC and PRT
Your role at Merck is integral to helping the world meet new breakthroughs that affect generations to come, and we’re counting on your skills and inventiveness to help make meaningful contributions to global medical advancement. At Merck, we’re inventing for life.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to email@example.com.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
Job: Medical Affairs Generic ONC
Employee Status: Regular
Travel: Yes, 20 % of the Time
Number of Openings:
Shift (if applicable):
Company Trade Name: Merck