Research Scientific Director - Northwest US (Field-Based)
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. The difference between potential and achievement lies in the spark that fuels innovation and inventiveness; this is the space where Merck has codified its legacy for over a century. Merck’s success is backed by ethical integrity, forward momentum, and an inspiring mission to achieve new milestones in global healthcare.
Merck is on a quest for cures and is committed to being the world’s premier, most research-intensive biopharmaceutical company. Today, we’re doubling down on this goal. Merck Research Laboratories is a true scientific research facility of tomorrow, and will take Merck’s leading discovery capabilities and world-class small molecule and biologics R&D expertise to create breakthrough science that radically changes the way we approach serious diseases.
The Research Scientific Director (RSD) is a therapeutic and disease expert who is responsible for facilitating and developing relationships with the Cardiometabolic & Respiratory medical/scientific community who have interest in participating in Merck research studies (Merck clinical trials, company sponsored trials (MISP). This position will report to the Cardiometabolic/Respiratory Team Leader (within Global Center for Scientific Affairs).
- Support Merck Research Labs (MRL) strategy to accelerate Merck’s broader cardiometabolic & respiratory portfolio through internal candidate development and/or external partnership opportunities.
- Identifies, establishes and maintains collaborative relationships with key investigators, institutions, groups and consortia to identify and address scientific and research needs in the fields of cardiometabolic & respiratory disease.
- Support company initiated trials by interacting with primary investigators, assisting in site identification and screenings, and delivering disease education using approved resources.
- Conduct peer-to-peer scientific discussions and maintain a reliable presence with Scientific Leaders to ensure they have a medical contact within Merck Research labs.
- Support data generation activities including provision of Merck areas of research interest and MISP process to potential investigators and review of proposals.
- Engage in proactive non-product discussions regarding cardiometabolic & respiratory scientific issues to assist Merck in obtaining feedback on certain scientific topics of interest to inform Merck’s research activities (e.g., medical practice insights, evidence/data gaps, novel targets and pathways, etc.).
- Demonstrate in-depth knowledge of the assigned disease and therapeutic area(s) through education efforts, including attendance at relevant conferences, workshops and review of key journals.
- Represent MRL at scientific meetings including pipeline booth support, congresses and symposia's, MRL advisory and investigator meetings.
- Fully comply with all company policies and applicable laws, regulations, and ethical standards.
- An advanced degree (M.D., Ph.D. or Pharm.D.) is required with prior experience in the biotech/pharmaceutical or healthcare education environment.
- The ideal candidate will reside within the position territory: Northwest Region of the US.
- A minimum of five (5) years of field scientific experience is required.
- Must demonstrate deep therapeutic competency; stay abreast of trends and new information in cardiometabolic diseases & respiratory diseases..
- Knowledge of cardiovascular and diabetes treatment guidelines (ACC, AHA, ADA, etc.), clinical research processes, FDA regulations, and OIG guidelines.
- Knowledge of respiratory disease treatment guidelines, clinical research processes, FDA regulations and OIG guidelines.
- Must have the ability to network and partner with important external customers, including scientific leaders, investigators, academic institutions, large group practices, etc.
- Excellent interpersonal communication and presentation skills are required.
- Must possess demonstrable effective leadership skills (by example and through accomplishments), and is able to step forward to handle challenges within scope of authority.
- Willing and able to travel up to 50% as required per this position.
- Valid Driver's License.
- Prior Medical Science Liaison (MSL) or other appropriate field-based experience in the therapeutic areas cardiovascular disease, diabetes and respiratory.
- Working knowledge and clinical experience in cardiovascular disease, diabetes and respiratory.
Your role at Merck is integral to helping the world meet new breakthroughs that affect generations to come, and we’re counting on your skills and inventiveness to help make meaningful contributions to global medical advancement. At Merck, we’re inventing for life.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
Job: Scientific Affairs – Field Based
Employee Status: Regular
Travel: Yes, 50 % of the Time
Number of Openings:
Shift (if applicable):
Company Trade Name: Merck