Business Analyst, Process R&D and Pilot Plants
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. The difference between potential and achievement lies in the spark that fuels innovation and inventiveness; this is the space where Merck has codified its legacy for over a century. Merck’s success is backed by ethical integrity, forward momentum, and an inspiring mission to achieve new milestones in global healthcare.
Merck’s Information Technology organization partners with colleagues across the business to help serve our patients and customers around the world. Ours is a high energy team of dynamic, innovative individuals dedicated to advancing Merck’s contribution to global medical innovation by leveraging information and technology to efficiently advance the business by driving revenue and productivity.
- Provides leadership and direction to the business on IT strategy and programs which support the division's business requirements.
- Takes a lead role in identifying and achieving cost savings on both capital & expense spend.
- Liaises with various site and divisional project groups and ensures ongoing alignment with IT teams, both in terms of major initiatives and day-to-day operations.
- As sponsor of the IT compliance at the site, participates in regulatory audits and supports the regulatory requirements and the application of the Merck System Development Lifecycle (SDLC) including development/review of the required deliverables.
- Drives compliance with Merck Global Policies, Procedures and Guidelines, Regulatory requirements, (Safety, cGMP, Sox) in the performance of day to day activities and ensures site computer systems meet all necessary computer security and business continuity planning requirements.
- Drives continuous improvement by leading and active participation in system failure investigations and investigation reports, execution/development of change control, and contribution to Kaizen events as appropriate.
- Drives effective implementation of standard operational procedures and training documents for various IT systems and ensures all work is subsequently carried out in line.
- Tracks key performance indicators and metrics to assure projected value realization, and manages/escalates corresponding issues.
- Liaises with Operation/Quality Directors and managers to effectively communicate issues which may directly affect other plant departments/priorities.
- Develops a network with peers on the other Pilot sites to share experience and best practice.
- Keeps abreast of new technologies, methodologies, industry practices and standards.
- Leads and sponsors change within the IT group particulary transformational initiatives envisaged in IT strategies.
- May be required to perform other duties as assigned by the business.
- Manages the IT staffs/resources on site.
- Manages the support maintenance and contractual relations for key IT systems, including contract and service level negotiation with multiple service providers for Contractor and Vendor Management of Non-Merck Resources, Consultants and Outsourced Service Providers.
- Leads and drives local (human) change management processes as needed to realize the value of IT innovations / improvements.
- Works collaboratively to drive a safe, compliant and inclusive culture.
Portfolio Management / Prioritization & Project Execution:
- Plans future capital needs by liaising with plant/Chemistry personnel to identify future business needs.
- Supports local project management activities
- Owns IT projects and initiatives at site level. Realizes business & IT value by supporting the local rollout of globally defined solutions/enhancements.
Education Minimum Requirement:
- Bachelor’s Degree.
- Advanced degree in Chemistry, Computer Science OR Equivalent work experience in the same fields preferred
Required Experience and Skills:
- Business Relationship Management experience between IT and Research or related function
- Knowledge of the strategies, operating models, processes, and technologies relevant to Manufacturing Plants
- Strong listening, collaboration, and relationship development skills
- Strong communication skills – verbal and written
- Able and willing to serve as team leader, line manager, and/or as individual contributor 7+ years IT experience supporting IT systems in a manufacturing plant
Preferred Experience and Skills:
- Experience in GMP systems
Your role at Merck is integral to helping the world meet new breakthroughs that affect generations to come, and we’re counting on your skills and inventiveness to help make meaningful contributions to global medical advancement. At Merck, we’re inventing for life.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
Job: Business/Technical Analysis
Employee Status: Regular
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time
Number of Openings:
Shift (if applicable):
Company Trade Name: Merck