Senior Scientist - Upstream Process Development
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. The difference between potential and achievement lies in the spark that fuels innovation and inventiveness; this is the space where Merck has codified its legacy for over a century. Merck’s success is backed by ethical integrity, forward momentum, and an inspiring mission to achieve new milestones in global healthcare.
Merck is on a quest for cures and is committed to being the world’s premier, most research-intensive biopharmaceutical company. Today, we’re doubling down on this goal. Merck Research Laboratories is a true scientific research facility of tomorrow, and will take Merck’s leading discovery capabilities and world-class small molecule and biologics R&D expertise to create breakthrough science that radically changes the way we approach serious diseases.
At Merck, the Upstream Process Development and Engineering group within the Biologics Process Development and Clinical Manufacturing Department is responsible for developing upstream processes supporting both early and late stage biologics, as well as transferring these processes within internal and external manufacturing networks. Our department is seeking a highly motivated scientist to support the development of high-yield and robust cell culture process to be utilized for the production of biopharmaceuticals.
Main responsibilities include:
- Develop robust cell culture process for biologics production. Support/represent upstream function in the CMC team.
- Lead tech transfer/scale-up for clinical manufacturing.
- Provide scientific guidance to junior scientists.
- A B.S. in Chemical Engineering, Bioengineering, Biochemistry or other related Biological Sciences with a minimum of 7 years of experience in industry, OR a M.S. in Chemical Engineering, Bioengineering, Biochemistry or other related Biological Sciences with a minimum of 4 years of experience in industry, OR a Ph.D. in Chemical Engineering, Bioengineering, Biochemistry or other related Biological Sciences.
- Experience in aseptic handling of mammalian cell cultures.
- Demonstrated skills in critical thinking, laboratory experimentation and data analysis.
- Experience with statistical analysis software.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills to work in a team environment.
- Experience with cell culture and primary recovery operations.
- Experience with the operations of microbioreactors and bench-top bioreactors.
- Strong data analysis skills using statistical software such as JMP.
- Experience in process scale-up and tech transfer.
- Demonstrated skills in utilizing systems biology tools for process optimization and yield improvement.
Your role at Merck is integral to helping the world meet new breakthroughs that affect generations to come, and we’re counting on your skills and inventiveness to help make meaningful contributions to global medical advancement. At Merck, we’re inventing for life.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
Job: Bio Process-Ferment/Cell Cultr
Employee Status: Regular
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time
Number of Openings:
Shift (if applicable):
Company Trade Name: Merck