Director, SEC Reporting and Technical Accounting
Reporting to the Chief Accounting Officer will primarily be responsible for financial reporting (internally and externally) and leading technical accounting efforts. Leveraging prior pharmaceutical/biotech industry experience along with public accounting experience, the successful candidate will assume a key role working collaboratively across the Finance team and the Company to enhance its reporting capabilities and deliver a new generation of transformative medicines for patients.
Here's What You'll Do:
- Manage all aspects of SEC filings, including Forms 10-K, 10-Q, 8-K, proxy statements, earnings release materials and investor presentations to ensure compliance with SEC rules and regulations, compliance with U.S. GAAP guidance and consistency across all communications
- Author MD&A in SEC filings with minimal need for editing by CAO
- Establish and maintain close coordination across key functional areas, including corporate development, legal, R&D, investor relations/corporate communications and FP&A to ensure proper input into internal and external financial reporting
- Develop and maintain expert working knowledge and control of the Company's SEC reporting application tool, e.g., Workiva, and ensure XBRL compliance
- Serve as the primary technical accounting resource who can independently research accounting literature and apply technical accounting standards to complex business transactions and present the related impact to senior management to inform decision-making
- Lead implementation efforts and ongoing monitoring of new accounting pronouncements and develop the related accounting policy
- Author and/or review technical accounting memorandums and documentations
- Manage stock-based compensation accounting and reporting process
- Lead or assist the implementation of internal controls framework (SOX) around financial reporting
- Lead or assist the implementation of a stock-based/equity awards system, including the documentation of the related SOX controls and process, and other ad hoc projects
- Oversee the external reporting audit process as it relates to any SEC filings, including the planning and coordination with auditors
- Mentor and develop staff
Here's What You'll Bring to the Table:
- MBA or Master's Degree in Accounting, Finance or related field is preferred
- Minimum 10 years combined public accounting and public company experience
- Minimum 5 years SEC reporting experience (in-house preparation and process management)
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) is required; Active status is preferred
- 5+ years with a Big4 CPA firm is preferred
- Multi-national life science public company experience is preferred
- Technical expertise in U.S. GAAP and financial reporting including stock-based compensation, equity, revenue recognition and internal controls (SOX)
- Demonstrated experience researching and preparing technical accounting memorandums for complex business transaction and issues and new accounting pronouncements (e.g., new revenue recognition standard, new lease standard, going concern standard)
- Demonstrated success in process improvement and systems implementation
- Ability to manage multiple projects in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to collaborate effectively in a dynamic, cross-functional matrix environment
- Outstanding communication and interpersonal skills, with an ability to explain complex accounting concepts to a non-technical audience
- Familiar with Workiva and XBRL. Proficient with Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint and Word
- Experience with Fidelity PSW is a plus
- Have fun and be fully engaged
Here's What We'll Bring to the Table:
- Daily catered lunches on-site.
- Company-provided iPhone.
- Free parking, monthly subway pass or a subsidized commuter rail pass.
- Highly competitive healthcare coverage. Including: medical offered through BCBS (HMO/PPO), dental, and vision offered through VSP.
- Flexible Spending Accounts for medical expenses and dependent care expenses.
- 401k (traditional and Roth offered) with 50% match on first 6% deferred. Match is vested immediately.
- A suite of Moderna paid insurance coverage, including: life insurance, short-term and long-term disability
- Voluntary legal assistance plan
- 15 days' vacation per year, in addition to a discretionary winter shut down and 11 company paid holidays.
- 7 sick days per year
- Adoption assistance, competitive parental leave, discount at KinderCare, Little Sprouts and Champions Centers, as well as access to Care.com
Why join Moderna Therapeutics
We are pioneering a new class of medicines made of messenger RNA, or mRNA. The potential implications of using mRNA as a drug are significant and far-reaching. It could transform not only how certain diseases are treated but also how medicines are discovered, developed and manufactured - at a breadth, scale and speed not common in the biopharma industry.
Since our founding in 2011, we have built the industry's leading mRNA technology platform, the infrastructure to accelerate drug discovery and speed early development, a rapidly expanding pipeline, and an unparalleled team. Our development pipeline includes development candidates for mRNA-based vaccines and therapies spanning several therapeutic areas, and we have multiple clinical trials already underway with other development candidates progressing toward the clinic. In addition, we have a number of discovery programs that are advancing toward the development stage.
We invite you to explore our site to learn more about our company and how we are advancing the promise of mRNA science to improve health and impact lives around the world.
Deliver on the promise of mRNA science to create a new generation of transformative medicines for patients.
Moderna is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person's race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Moderna will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.