Sr. Director, IT Infrastructure
The Sr. Director of the IT Infrastructure will be responsible for delivering a robust and innovative cloud-based infrastructure, a memorable user experience and a secure Cyber infrastructure in a very dynamic workplace.
This person will provide leadership and vision: the role requires a transformational leader (leadership is valued at all levels of the organization) who is willing to work with cutting edge technologies, learn new skills, drive innovation and automation across the spectrum of his activities.
Working with our diverse and fast paced teams, He/She focuses talent to strengthen our IT capabilities and take to the next level of excellence Moderna's IT Infrastructure: Cloud, Compute, Networks, User experience and Cyber Security. He/she should be able to identify, recommend, develop, implement, and support new processes, tools and solutions to maximize business value, efficiencies and provide exceptional user experience.
To foster and enable innovation, thinking and acting strategically with technology is key. The Sr. Director of IT infrastructure is required to create strong business partnerships and must understand that for technologies to be meaningful, they need to be reliable, consistent and that users need to be supported and trained in using them.
The position reports to the Chief Digital Officer who is a member of Moderna's Executive Committee and is located in Cambridge, MA [or Norwood, MA].
Here's What You'll Do:
- Lead the development of the IT infrastructure strategy and roadmap and ensure its integration with the overall Digital strategy and Modena's vision.
- Lead the development of a client-centric and service-focused organization. Establish processes that allow for proper change management, rapid resolution of incidents, and efficient response to requests for service.
- Foster innovation and creative solutions to business challenges and respond with agility to changing business priorities to improve service offerings, operations, and the total customer experience.
- Maintain and operate the IT infrastructure: Cloud, Compute, Networks, User experience and Cyber Safety, delivering the appropriate levels of service to Moderna.
- Maintain technical proficiency and provide direction on what emerging technologies should be assimilated, integrated and introduced to ensure IT capabilities improves performance and user experience and respond best to Modena's vision.
- Drive the implementation of enterprise technology standards, governance processes and performance metrics to ensure the infrastructure and operations deliver value to the enterprise.
- Build high-performing, knowledge-centered support teams (internal/external) that use best-practice processes and systems to consistently and predictably deliver on goals. In parallel, identify business process and practices that can be improved and develop service improvement plans that achieve these results.
- Manage all IT infrastructure related projects using rigor, planning and risk-proof deliverables to ensure that adverse outcomes are minimized.
- Build a long-term Cyber Security Operation Center (CSOC) & IT Incident Management strategy and planning (Policies, Standards, Operating Procedures) to identify potential adverse events and to protect in response Moderna's systems, applications, data and IP. Also assess the risk related to the infrastructure and implement technologies and processes to mitigate the risks in line with business criticality and promote awareness across the organization.
- Develop an externally-focused view of the evolving threats facing the organization and routinely develop and update incident response playbooks to ensure response activities align with best practices and provide comprehensive mitigation of threats.
- Recruit and retain qualified and talented staff, build high performing teams and external services and provide leadership and staff management through mentorship, coaching, and professional development opportunities. Provide on the ground leadership to manage performance and build strong relationships with the operational teams and ensure that the various teams being overseen operate as a cohesive team.
- Manage third-party vendor relationships and service contracts to augment the internal service delivery capabilities, including the direct management of the partner relationship with the vendor providing help desk services.
- Develop and control the annual operating and capital expenditure budget for the IT infrastructure activities and ensure it is consistent with overall objectives and plan.
- Ensure that IT services and processes (Internal / External) are conducted in line with corporate social responsibilities policies, applicable standards, legislation, and regulations (e.g. FDA, GxP, GDPR, HIPAA, etc.)
- Manage communication across the organization, to ensure effective collection and dissemination of information regarding the IT infrastructure initiatives.
Here's What You'll Bring to the Table:
We are looking for a results-oriented individual with strong influencing, problem solving and negotiation skills that drive accountability and who has a proven ability to build relationships and influence individuals at all levels in the organization.
- 15+ years of technology leadership experience with increasing responsibilities and a minimum of 10+ years of working experience managing IT infrastructure, external services and end user operations.
- Experience with broad enterprise IT infrastructure solutions for a growing company including End User Computing Systems (Mac, PC, Tablets, etc.), collaboration and communication tools, service desk, desk side support, Networks (LAN, WAN, Firewalls, etc.) management, Cloud infrastructure (AWS and Microsoft cloud application suite), AV, Video Conferencing and foundational services such as Identity Management, Active Directory, Single Sign On, DNS, DHCP, etc.
- Subject Matter Expertise in establishing a Cyber Security Operation Center.
- Possesses an adaptive leadership style that promotes and fosters innovation with deep understanding of current and emerging technologies and how other industries are employing them.
- Demonstrated ability to build a state of the art, customer-centric, service desk, using ITSM best practices for automation, knowledge management and customer experience.
- Proven capabilities in managing and executing IT Infrastructure transformational initiatives in a growing and fast paced environment.
- Able to perform under pressure and lead multiple priorities with competing demands for resource while instilling confidence in the business and demonstrating the business value of IT.
- Excellent analytical, strategic planning, strategic conceptual thinking and execution skills.
- Expertise in budget planning and financial management.
- Strong vendor management and partner relation skills to identify and leverage external resources to enhance capabilities that support business objectives.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to explain technical concepts and technologies to business stakeholders.
- Ability to effectively collaborate effectively in a dynamic, cross-functional matrix environment.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science (or equivalent); advanced degree preferred
- ITIL knowledge, experience and/or certification
- PMP Project management knowledge, experience and/or certification
- Lean/Six sigma knowledge, experience and/or certification
Here's What We'll Bring to the Table:
- Daily on-site catered lunches.
- Company-provided iPhone.
- Free parking, monthly subway pass or a subsidized commuter rail pass.
- Highly competitive healthcare coverage. Including: medical offered through BCBS (HMO/PPO), dental, and vision offered through VSP.
- Flexible Spending Accounts for medical expenses and dependent care expenses.
- 401k (traditional and Roth offered) with 50% match on first 6% deferred. Match is vested immediately.
- A suite of Moderna paid insurance coverage, including: life insurance, short-term and long-term disability
- Voluntary legal assistance plan
- 15 days' vacation and 7 sick days per year, in addition to a discretionary winter shut down and 11 company paid holidays.
- Adoption assistance, competitive parental leave, discount to local childcare centers, as well as access to Care.com
Why join Moderna Therapeutics
We are pioneering a new class of medicines made of messenger RNA, or mRNA. The potential implications of using mRNA as a drug are significant and far-reaching. It could transform not only how certain diseases are treated but also how medicines are discovered, developed and manufactured - at a breadth, scale and speed not common in the biopharma industry.
Since our founding in 2011, we have built the industry's leading mRNA technology platform, the infrastructure to accelerate drug discovery and speed early development, a rapidly expanding pipeline, and an unparalleled team. Our development pipeline includes development candidates for mRNA-based vaccines and therapies spanning several therapeutic areas, and we have multiple clinical trials already underway with other development candidates progressing toward the clinic. In addition, we have a number of discovery programs that are advancing toward the development stage.
We invite you to explore our site to learn more about our company and how we are advancing the promise of mRNA science to improve health and impact lives around the world.
Deliver on the promise of mRNA science to create a new generation of transformative medicines for patients.
Moderna is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person's race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Moderna will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.