We are seeking a full-time Laboratory Manager for the Chandran research laboratory in the Department of Microbiology & Immunology at the Albert Einstein College of Medicine (www.chandranlab.org).
The Chandran Lab performs research on the infection mechanisms of emerging viruses and develops antiviral therapeutics. Laboratory members include six graduate students and five postdoctoral research fellows.
The Laboratory Manager will play a critical role in providing organizational and logistical support to the PI and lab members. The key responsibilities of this position include:
- Reporting to the PI, Dr. Kartik Chandran, and working closely with him in performing his/her duties;
- Working with Dr. Chandran to develop the laboratory's annual budget;
- Establishing and maintaining electronic systems to inventory, organize, and track laboratory resources, reagents, and samples, including the laboratory's growing inventories of DNA plasmids and cell lines.
- Working with laboratory personnel to generate, maintain, and ensure the integrity of stocks of key shared research reagents;
- Developing and maintaining standard operating procedures (SOPs) for lab procedures;
- Managing laboratory inventory, including placing and monitoring orders and receipts for equipment, supplies, and reagents;
- Interacting with vendors to obtain quotes and negotiate pricing;
- Tracking and managing laboratory expenditures;
- Maintaining laboratory instruments;
- Assigning laboratory duties to all personnel and monitoring compliance;
- Coordinating laboratory safety programs; working with laboratory personnel to ensure compliance with Animal Institute, Environmental Health & Safety, Fire Department, and other regulatory agency requirements;
- Assisting with writing and managing protocols (e.g., animal and safety protocols);
- Participating in leadership/management planning meetings for the laboratory.
The Albert Einstein College of Medicine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information.
Experience and Education:
- Master's Degree required. A combination of education and experience will also be considered.
- >3 years of Prior experience working in a molecular biology/chemistry/wet-bench laboratory in academia or industry
- Prior supervisory experience (>1 year) is highly desirable
Skills and Competencies:
- Communicates clearly in one-on-one and group conversations
- Develops effective written communications and uses them appropriately
- Interacts and proactively shares information with internal lab personnel and external collaborators
- Develops effective relationships with faculty, staff, students, and employees
- Assumes responsibility to ensure issues/concerns will be addressed and monitors them through conclusion
- Identifies, defines, and analyzes information and situations before recommending a course of action
- Effectively manages own time and resources
- Seeks to apply technology and innovation to improve efficiency and solve problems
Contact Us: Dr. Kartik Chandran| Kartik.email@example.com