Director MR, Early Commercial Development & BD
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. The difference between potential and achievement lies in the spark that fuels innovation and inventiveness; this is the space where Merck has codified its legacy for over a century. Merck’s success is backed by ethical integrity, forward momentum, and an inspiring mission to achieve new milestones in global healthcare.
Merck’s Global Human Health (GHH) Division abides by a “patient first, profits later” ideology. Results-driven and ambitious, this team of individuals represents a functional balance between meeting company objectives and the needs of people around the world. The organization is comprised of sales and marketing professionals who are passionate about their role in bringing Merck's prescription medicines, vaccines, and other medical products to our customers worldwide.
The Director of Early Commercial Development & BD is responsible for developing the research strategy and agile data focused approaches that provide customer insight and market perspective for the development and licensure of new compounds for the GHH portfolio. This individual will collaborate with brand research teams and CoEs as a consultant and expert resource for development of comprehensive insights and analytics, agile approaches, study designs, implementation, and analysis to advance Merck’s early commercial portfolio.. The incumbent is responsible for understanding the GHH and top market business challenges, managing agency partners and collaborating with brand insights and analytics team members to guide the business in the acquisition and development of product assets. This individual will conduct analyses of market data (syndicated, secondary, EMR/PLD, social or primary), conduct research studies where necessary, provide agile turn-key solutions and agency recommendations, and ensure alignment, consistency, executional excellence and compliance. In this role, the individual will be expected to interact with senior leaders and influence decision-making.
The Director performs these functions fully independently and at a high level of achievement with minimal managerial assistance while keeping both the Executive Director and appropriate commercial partners apprised of progress and issues as they arise.
- Bachelors degree required
- Minimum of 8 years market research or analytics with demonstrated depth and breadth of experience in concept and product evaluation.
- A total of 10+ years of relevant experience in related functions (including sales, marketing, marketing/sales support).
- Strong preference for Masters in Market Research, MBA or equivalent
- Demonstrated experience and acumen with agile and social research methods.
- Experience with BD and early stage product evaluation a plus.
- Highly developed analytical skills, strong problem-solving and demonstrated ability to think strategically and objectively.
- Is at mastery level in the full range of insights methodologies; able to coach/guide others in the application of market research methods and data analysis.
- Advanced verbal, written and oral presentation communication skills
- Proven analytical (quantitative and qualitative) and data interpretation skills
- Demonstrated ability to manage effectively in ambiguous, frequently changing environment
- Demonstrated experience in negotiations with third parties (e.g., contractors, agencies, associations), or with team members in the absence of positional authority
- Understanding of the global and U.S. pharmaceutical market and the evolving regulations regarding privacy, access, and affordability.
Your role at Merck is integral to helping the world meet new breakthroughs that affect generations to come, and we’re counting on your skills and inventiveness to help make meaningful contributions to global medical advancement. At Merck, we’re inventing for life.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
Job: Market Research & Analytics
Employee Status: Regular
Travel: Yes, 25 % of the Time
Number of Openings:
Shift (if applicable):
Company Trade Name: Merck