Associate Director, Top Customers and US Strategy
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. The difference between potential and achievement lies in the spark that fuels innovation and inventiveness; this is the space where Merck has codified its legacy for over a century. Merck’s success is backed by ethical integrity, forward momentum, and an inspiring mission to achieve new milestones in global healthcare.
Merck’s Global Human Health (GHH) Division abides by a “patient first, profits later” ideology. Results-driven and ambitious, this team of individuals represents a functional balance between meeting company objectives and the needs of people around the world. The organization is comprised of sales and marketing professionals who are passionate about their role in bringing Merck's prescription medicines, vaccines, and other medical products to our customers worldwide.
The Top Customer and US Strategy Associate Director will be responsible for a broad range of research primarily supporting Customer Centricity, Strategy and Commercial Model Innovation, and Patient Innovation. The position will plan, manage, and execute complex market research projects within tight timelines and budgets. Responsible for providing strategic input to their customer and business teams by proactively identifying objectives and knowledge gaps, answering key business questions, and applying all available resources to produce actionable solutions and recommendations. Requires a strong understanding of primary and secondary market research methodologies, particularly related to customer centricity and patients segments across Merck’s business. Experience in sales is preferred. This individual is expected to be collaborative and a strong team player, interacting with multiple internal and external groups, to influence decision-making for the teams they support, while working closely with the Team Leader. The Associate Director will have demonstrated consistently strong leadership skills with an ability to work independently in a rapidly changing environment, while exhibiting a transformational mindset, cultural awareness, and resilience to effectively produce results.
Primary Activities include but are not limited to the following:
- Proactively communicates and facilitates discussion with teams to ensure that insights are considered in decision-making and planning; integrates a variety of sources and secondary, syndicated and primary research study data to present strategic options to the extended team; provides consultative guidance to Merck Brand Marketing and/or Commercial Team(s) as needed.
- Takes full ownership of understanding the business challenges and information needs. Develops and oversees the market research plan with a strategic mindset and minimal supervision, based on understanding a wide range of business issues.
- Manages all aspects of primary market research including leadership in framing critical business questions, identification of information needs, development of research/analysis plans and management of the research process to deliver an objective understanding of key customers, competitors, products and current/future market developments.
- Implements research studies & monitors budget. Briefs agencies to deliver what is required – understands vendor capabilities, quality requirements, and recommends innovative options.
- Articulates the rationale, hypotheses, and methodology of research approaches to both the manager and the client team proactively and ensures the business objectives are met and communicated in an effective way.
- Explores alternative and creative ways of meeting an information need, considering new techniques alongside more traditional approaches to more quickly and efficiently address business requests.
- Completes complex analyses using available secondary data, syndicated reports and databases and synthesizes insights into primary market research efforts to tell and evolve the "story".
- Leads implementation of all administrative aspects of research studies using available resources.
- Collaborates proactively with cross-functional business partners including sales, marketing, market access, and partner agencies to ensure efficiency.
- Assists with analysis to inform the strategic assumptions that are built into forecasts.
- Works on and leads additional customer strategy initiatives and projects as needed.
Customer Centricity Requirements
- Supports the customer feedback process. Understands the Gallup Methodology, hierarchy of customer needs and ways to grow and improve customer relationships.
- Can work with a broad range of US and Global clients both internal and external to Merck.
Strategy and Commercial Model Innovation
- Can conduct desk research and build organization profiles and dossiers
- Can build research plans to address customer needs in an ambiguous environment.
- Strategizes on key partnership opportunities as an insights partner
- Bachelor's degree required
- Advanced degree desirable
Required Experience and Skills:
- Minimum of 8 years of work experience including marketing-related positions (e.g. research, forecasting/ analytics, marketing, sales, and support) with at least five (5) years experience in pharmaceutical market research.
- Well developed analytical skills, strong problem-solving and demonstrated ability to think strategically and objectively.
- Can apply market research methods and models, is proficient and has directly worked with a variety of methodologies including social and digital approaches.
- Orientation toward collaboration, team work, ability to lead teams in execution of market research, interest in ongoing learning, and development of best practices.
- Demonstrates strong leadership skills around customer focus, decision making, and courage & candor.
- Ability and comfort in leading in a complex and ambiguous environment of a global matrixed organization
- Ability to communicate effectively and a strong desire to lead change.
Preferred Experience and Skills:
- Solid understanding of adherence, digital and customer strategy preferred.
Your role at Merck is integral to helping the world meet new breakthroughs that affect generations to come, and we’re counting on your skills and inventiveness to help make meaningful contributions to global medical advancement. At Merck, we’re inventing for life.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
Job: Market Research & Analytics
Employee Status: Regular
Travel: Yes, 20 % of the Time
Number of Openings:
Shift (if applicable):
Company Trade Name: Merck