Sr. Research Associate, Process Development
Moderna Therapeutics is seeking a highly motivated and creative Senior Research Associate with a strong background in biochemistry, chemistry, molecular biology, chemical engineering, and/or biological engineering to join the Process Development team at their Cambridge, MA site. The candidate will work closely with other members of the Process Development team to assess novel mRNA production and purification strategies. Specifically, the candidate will be responsible for biochemical/chemical reaction optimization as well as process and product characterization work that will drive the rational design of process improvements. The role involves identifying opportunities for improvement, optimizing unit operations across all scales of production, implementing robust automatable solutions, and supporting the transfer of new process improvements into Production and Manufacturing. The candidate will interface with the larger technical development organization and will also represent the Process Development team in internal Moderna research teams, providing a broad range of support in biochemistry and biology-based experiments
Here's What You'll Do:
- Identify opportunities for process innovation and improvement
- Develop and optimize mRNA production and purification methodologies
- Optimize unit operations to improve robustness, cycle time, throughput, and cost while maintaining product quality
- Support implementation of novel process solutions into the mRNA production platform
- Provide technical support to members of Production and Manufacturing teams
- Support cross-functional projects with Process Innovation, CMC PD, Production, Analytical Development, and Chemistry teams
Here's What You'll Bring to the Table:
- BS or MS Degree in biochemistry, chemistry, molecular biology, chemical engineering, biological engineering, or a related discipline with 2-5 years of industry experience
- Experience with U/HPLC, LC/MS, and other analytical instruments
- Experience with mass spectrometry
- Strong quantitative analysis skills
- Experience with assay development
- Knowledge of basic purification techniques for macromolecules (e.g. RNA, DNA, proteins)
- Knowledge of enzyme kinetics
- Knowledge of nucleic acid chemistry
- Familiar with mRNA biology, including transcription, translation, and regulation
- Ability to manage multiple projects in a fast-paced environment
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills
- Exceptional work ethic
- Collaborative, enthusiastic, and eager to participate in multiple projects in a dynamic, cross-functional matrix environment
Here's What We'll Bring to the Table:
- Daily on-site catered lunches
- Company-provided iPhone
- Free parking, monthly subway pass or a subsidized commuter rail pass
- Highly competitive healthcare coverage. Including: medical offered through BCBS (HMO/PPO), dental, and vision offered through VSP
- Flexible Spending Accounts for medical expenses and dependent care expenses
- 401k (traditional and Roth offered) with 50% match on first 6% deferred. Match is vested immediately
- A suite of Moderna paid insurance coverage, including: life insurance, short-term and long-term disability
- Voluntary legal assistance plan
- 15 days' vacation and 7 sick days per year, in addition to a discretionary winter shut down and 11 company paid holidays
- Adoption assistance, competitive parental leave, discount to local childcare centers, as well as access to Care.com
Why join Moderna Therapeutics
We are pioneering a new class of medicines made of messenger RNA, or mRNA. The potential implications of using mRNA as a drug are significant and far-reaching. It could transform not only how certain diseases are treated but also how medicines are discovered, developed and manufactured - at a breadth, scale and speed not common in the biopharma industry.
Since our founding in 2011, we have built the industry's leading mRNA technology platform, the infrastructure to accelerate drug discovery and speed early development, a rapidly expanding pipeline, and an unparalleled team. Our development pipeline includes development candidates for mRNA-based vaccines and therapies spanning several therapeutic areas, and we have multiple clinical trials already underway with other development candidates progressing toward the clinic. In addition, we have a number of discovery programs that are advancing toward the development stage.
We invite you to explore our site to learn more about our company and how we are advancing the promise of mRNA science to improve health and impact lives around the world.
Deliver on the promise of mRNA science to create a new generation of transformative medicines for patients.
Moderna is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person's race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Moderna will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.