Principal Research Scientist-Biologics Group Leader
The Biotechnology Discovery Research (BioTDR) Lead Generation is looking to fill a position for an experienced researcher to lead a drug discovery group passionate about discovering and enablement of large molecule drugs to combat diseases in the immunology, diabetes, oncology, neurodegenerative and pain areas. Are you a highly skilled scientist who has demonstrated ability to facilitate communication between multidisciplinary teams, coordinating complex cross-functional teams? Are you prepared to lead productive collaborations both within BioTDR, and with therapeutic area partners as well as clinical colleagues so as to identify and develop opportunities for protein therapeutics? You will participate in ongoing research projects as well as initiate new drug discovery research efforts. You should be able to work in an interdisciplinary setting, have detailed understanding of disease pathophysiology and drug hunting experience developing large molecule drugs.Key responsibilities include:Leadership and Flexibility
- Leading a research team and the ability to guide and effectively collaborate with PhD scientists in identifying, evaluating, characterizing and developing large molecule drugs.
- Proven ability to constructively influence peers and management.
- Strong presentation skills necessary in communicating research findings and team plans.
- Ability not only to lead, but to also work constructively with leadership or other team members when their perspectives/decisions diverge from your own opinion is essential.
- Mentoring skills and an ability to see opportunities for guiding the development of more junior scientists.
- Deep understanding of biochemical pathways of interest to Lilly is required. Flexibility to apply this expertise to diverse disease areas of strategic interest to Lilly including immunology, diabetes, oncology, neurodegeneration and pain is critical.
- Research efforts will concentrate on the target validation and enablement of large molecules in diverse therapeutic areas.
- Lead multidisciplinary teams with a goal towards advancing a therapeutic to lead, optimizing it to candidate selection, and preparing it for clinical experimentation.
- Experience with therapeutic antibody discovery and development is helpful.
- Develop research plan and guide team to establish functional assays for screening and characterizing therapeutic antibodies.
- Exhibit strong problem-solving ability and be familiar with understanding and resolving connectivity issues linking in vitro activities and in vivo PD responses.
- Experience with immunology or Immuno-oncology research is helpful.
At Lilly, we unite caring with discovery to make life better for people around the world. We are a global healthcare leader headquartered in Indianapolis, Indiana. Our 39,000 employees around the world work to discover and bring life-changing medicines to those who need them, improve the understanding and management of disease, and give back to our communities through philanthropy and volunteerism. We give our best effort to our work, and we put people first. We're looking for people who are determined to make life better for people around the world.Basic Qualifications
- PhD or MD/PhD or MD in Biology, Biochemistry, or a related discipline.
- At least 8 years of experience in the areas of immunology, metabolic disease, oncology and/or neuroscience or closely related therapeutic area with at least 4 years of this in pharmaceutical industry-associated experience.
- Experience with cell culture and molecular biology/or protein chemistry techniques such as primary cell assays, SDS-PAGE, Western blot, Immune assays, enzyme assays, RT-PCR, receptor binding assays, ELISA, etc.
- Knowledge of disease physiology is required. Demonstrated ability to develop and apply learning from in vitro experiments to pre-clinical animal models of human disease.
- Proven excellence in written and oral communication skills, as evidenced by presentations at national or international meetings, publications in major journals or patents.
Lilly is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.