Associate Director - Engineering
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. The difference between potential and achievement lies in the spark that fuels innovation and inventiveness; this is the space where Merck has codified its legacy for over a century. Merck’s success is backed by ethical integrity, forward momentum, and an inspiring mission to achieve new milestones in global healthcare.
Merck Manufacturing Division, MMD, is a team of dedicated, energetic individuals who are committed to being the most trusted supplier of pharmaceuticals and health products worldwide. Our facilities, along with our external contractors, suppliers, and partners, comprise an interdependent global manufacturing network that’s committed to delivering a compliant, reliable supply to customers and patients on time, every time, across the globe.
The Associate Director will be part of the API Technology Portfolio Management Group and will be responsible for a portfolio of Active Pharmaceutical Ingredient (API) projects as overall leader or technical lead. Technical and project management skills are critical.
- He/She will focus on leveraging external suppliers for API development and full scale production and the potential project types include sourcing, technical transfer, RnD, process improvement and trouble shooting.
- Operational excellence projects will be assigned as able.
- This position will interface with the External Manufacturing & Global Procurement organization of MMD Animal Health and the different Animal Health R&D departments to:
- Develop and manage the supply base
- Complete sourcing projects. And as a technical lead: define the requested services including generating technical packages, lead technical due diligence for supplier selection, and verify that the aspects of supplier selection are considered appropriately, including assurance of supply, quality, service, cost and innovation.
- Follow up the quality and the timeliness of the delivered services
- On Technical Transfer projects the individual will typically be the overall project lead and ensure the execution of the project is on time and in full.
- Importantly, the individuals must:
- Provide strong leadership and business acumen for project management and lead cross-functional team members effectively
- Display Merck leadership behaviors and demonstrate a high emotional intelligence
- Create and ensure the overall technical transfer schedules including regulatory and formulation site inputs are appropriate for the project delivering end to end outcomes.
- Work closely with external suppliers to assess the chemistry and processing equipment and limit risk on transfer
- Evaluate material physical property and chemical comparability and mitigate risk
- He/She will regularly conduct trouble shooting exercises and process improvements with the existing API suppliers.
- As required, the individual will assist communications with the suppliers and visit facilities to conduct due diligence and or resolve technical issues.
- Bachelor's Degree in Chemical Engineering or Chemistry
- Minimum 10 yrs. of relevant experience
- Extensive experience working with external suppliers.
- He/she must have experience with process development and scale up and or technical transfer and be familiar with chemical processes
- A strong business acumen, communication skills, and a proven track record of managing projects in the areas of sourcing / commercialization / tech transfer / chemistry process trouble shooting supply of Active Pharmaceutical Ingredients
- Strong Leadership attributes including a global mindset
- Demonstrated ability to lead a cross-functional teams with an end to end supply chain view
- Ability to collaborate across functions and geographies
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to maintain strong working relationships with technical, quality and operations leaders in the internal and external network
- Ability to use Microsoft Project 2010
- Ability to communicate internally and externally and manage across time and space is required.
- PhD and or he/she must understand the technical characterization or product physical properties and familiarity or expertise with chemistry and finishing crystallization is preferred.
- Expertise in trouble shooting and process improvement for chemical manufacturing for API
- Six Sigma certification preferred
Your role at Merck is integral to helping the world meet new breakthroughs that affect generations to come, and we’re counting on your skills and inventiveness to help make meaningful contributions to global medical advancement. At Merck, we’re inventing for life.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
Job: Chemical Engineering
Employee Status: Regular
Travel: Yes, 15 % of the Time
Number of Openings:
Shift (if applicable):
Company Trade Name: Merck