City of Hope, an innovative biomedical research, treatment and educational institution with over 5,000 employees, is dedicated to the prevention and cure of cancer and other life-threatening diseases and guided by a compassionate, patient-centered philosophy.
Founded in 1913 and headquartered in Duarte, California, City of Hope is a remarkable non-profit institution, where compassion and advanced care go hand-in-hand with excellence in clinical and scientific research. City of Hope is a National Cancer Institute designated Comprehensive Cancer Center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, an alliance of the nation's 20 leading cancer centers that develops and institutes standards of care for cancer treatment.
Position Summary and Key Responsibilities:
The Scientific Writer is responsible for high quality written scientific documents for funding applications and publication, including but not limited to writing, editing, and proofreading grant proposals, scientific manuscripts for peer review, white papers, and other scientific documents. This position is also expected to search for new funding opportunities, and assist with updating reference materials. The Scientific Writer reports directly to the Center Director.
- Writes, edits (content, style and grammar/spelling), and proofreads R01 and R01-like grant proposals, scientific manuscripts for peer review, or other scientific documents for faculty, research fellows, and students.
- Works to increase the number of grant submissions especially to federal funding agencies.
- Works independently and with others to seek new grant opportunities on behalf of City of Hope investigators.
- Assists with planning and conducting educational courses and workshops.
- Collaborates on the maintenance of databases and/or reference libraries related to grant funding agencies.
- Assists Director with various projects involving scientific documents (e.g., large institutional grants, annual/occasional reports, progress reports for grants).
Follows established City of Hope and department policies, procedures, objectives, performance improvement, attendance, safety, environmental, and infection control guidelines, includingadherence to theworkplaceCode of Conduct and Compliance Plan. Practices a high level of integrity and honesty in maintaining confidentiality.
Performs other related duties as assigned or requested.
Minimum Education and Skills Required for Consideration:
- Master's degree.
- Ph.D., highly preferred.
- At least three years of scientific writing experience in a healthcare/research/academic environment.
- Strong written and verbal English is required.
- Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills are a must.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team, meet deadlines, perform and prioritize multiple simultaneous tasks.
- Requires judgment that that could affect image of City of Hope.
- Subject to irregular hours, changing priorities and unpredictable situations.The candidate must be able to handle stressful conditions while maintaining a high quality of workmanship.
City of Hope is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.