Sr./Research Associate, Small Molecule and Polymer Analysis
The primary responsibilities of this contract role will be support for the laboratory function and supporting in-house small-molecule process development and production and stability studies. Additional responsibilities include optimization of current analytical methods for small molecule development and stability testing. This position will support cross-functional teams and will report to analytical lead for small molecule and polymer analytical development.
Here's What You'll Do:
- Support in-house stability studies, execute analyses and prepare documentation
- Support formulation analytical characterization
- Optimize existing analytical methods, communicate findings and document work
- Hands-on laboratory work and sample testing supporting development of small molecule and polymer for pharmaceutical products. This includes (but is not limited to) performing assay, related substances testing, stability and other tests to characterize and demonstrate lipid and product performance.
- Perform laboratory bench work to develop, optimize, and troubleshoot analytical methods for testing raw materials, intermediate, lipid, formulation and drug product.
- Conduct laboratory testing with high degree of accuracy and precision including instrumental analysis using UPLC-CAD, HPLC-UV, LC-MS, GC, UV-visible spectrophotometry, Karl Fischer, and other techniques, as required.
- Work in conjunction with senior staff on scientific contributions toward improvement, troubleshooting, method development and qualification. Solve problems with method installation and implementation. Exhibit efficient and diligent effort for root cause determination. Maintain and troubleshoot equipment performance as needed
- Interact with project teams as required to obtain information, influence decisions, and drive the project forward. Serve as analytical expert and contributing member on project teams. Provide regular reports on progress to leadership and during team meetings.
Here's What You'll Bring to the Table:
- Minimum BS/MS in Analytical Chemistry, Biochemistry, Chemical Engineering, or closely related field, having 1-2 years relevant industry experience
- A preference for an advanced degree BS or MS with 3-5 years of Analytical/QC/preformulation industry experience.
- Experience working in a collaborative and cross-functional environment
- Experience with the following instrumentation: HPLC (e.g. ion exchange, reverse phase ion pair), electrophoretic methods, Spectroscopic methods (UV, Fluorescence, FTIR, NIR, Raman, DLS)
- Knowledge of equipment platforms (e.g. Thermo, Waters, Agilent) and data processing software
- Familiar with GMP regulations and ICH guidelines is a plus
- Experience in the majority of the following: UPLC/ HPLC, GC, UV-Vis, Karl Fischer, IR, PSD, wet chemistry, and USP/EP compendial test procedures.
- Strong analytical aptitude, ability to comprehend and apply scientific theory and analytical techniques to solve problems.
- Advanced computer skills specifically in Microsoft Word, Excel, electronic notebook, etc.
- Facile written and verbal communications and presentation skills.
- Strong organizational skills, ability to manage and complete assigned projects on time.
- Preferred hands on industry experience with analytical development for nucleic acid therapies and/or nanoparticle delivery and Knowledge of nucleic acid chemistry and molecular biology
- Preferred experience with physical characterization techniques, including dynamic light scattering, microscopy, and DSC.
Here's What We'll Bring to the Table:
- Daily on-site catered lunches.
- Company-provided iPhone.
- Free parking, monthly subway pass or a subsidized commuter rail pass.
- Highly competitive healthcare coverage. Including: medical offered through BCBS (HMO/PPO), dental, and vision offered through VSP.
- Flexible Spending Accounts for medical expenses and dependent care expenses.
- 401k (traditional and Roth offered) with 50% match on first 6% deferred. Match is vested immediately.
- A suite of Moderna paid insurance coverage, including: life insurance, short-term and long-term disability
- Voluntary legal assistance plan
- 15 days' vacation and 7 sick days per year, in addition to a discretionary winter shut down and 11 company paid holidays.
- Adoption assistance, competitive parental leave, discount to local childcare centers, as well as access to Care.com
Why join Moderna Therapeutics
We are pioneering a new class of medicines made of messenger RNA, or mRNA. The potential implications of using mRNA as a drug are significant and far-reaching. It could transform not only how certain diseases are treated but also how medicines are discovered, developed and manufactured - at a breadth, scale and speed not common in the biopharma industry.
Since our founding in 2011, we have built the industry's leading mRNA technology platform, the infrastructure to accelerate drug discovery and speed early development, a rapidly expanding pipeline, and an unparalleled team. Our development pipeline includes development candidates for mRNA-based vaccines and therapies spanning several therapeutic areas, and we have multiple clinical trials already underway with other development candidates progressing toward the clinic. In addition, we have a number of discovery programs that are advancing toward the development stage.
We invite you to explore our site to learn more about our company and how we are advancing the promise of mRNA science to improve health and impact lives around the world.
Deliver on the promise of mRNA science to create a new generation of transformative medicines for patients.
Moderna is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person's race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Moderna will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.