Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. The difference between potential and achievement lies in the spark that fuels innovation and inventiveness; this is the space where Merck has codified its legacy for over a century. Merck’s success is backed by ethical integrity, forward momentum, and an inspiring mission to achieve new milestones in global healthcare.
Merck Manufacturing Division, MMD, is a team of dedicated, energetic individuals who are committed to being the most trusted supplier of pharmaceuticals and health products worldwide. Our facilities, along with our external contractors, suppliers, and partners, comprise an interdependent global manufacturing network that’s committed to delivering a compliant, reliable supply to customers and patients on time, every time, across the globe.
This is a night shift position, 12 hour (6:00pm - 6:00am) rotation (2-2-3).
The role of Operations Coach at Merck's Durham facility is a manufacturing leadership role. The individual in this role must provide direction, coaching, and technical expertise to operations personnel responsible for the manufacturing processes. This individual must actively manage their assigned team to reliably support customer demand (including hiring as needed, employee development, routine 1:1 meetings and coaching, recognition, and performance management). Additionally, they must become proficient in the use of manufacturing systems and knowledgeable of site procedures in order to resolve process/equipment issues, minimize downtime, and ensure product quality.
This role will support manufacturing activities in the Varicella Manufacturing Facility (VMF) at the Durham Site. Successful candidate(s) will be assigned to support either pre-thaw (e.g. preparation of sterile components, tanks, and stabilizer) or post-thaw (e.g. bulk thawing, pooling, filling, lyophilization, capping and inspection) activities.
Employee Development / People Management
- Hire, develop, motivate, and manage a team to ensure reliable manufacturing process execution
- Assign yearly performance objectives for the team in alignment with department and site goals
- Provide regular feedback and coaching to employees on work performance
- Provide leadership to the team as needed based on the team’s capabilities and maturity
Process Execution / Continuous Improvement
- Provide a leadership presence on the manufacturing floor
- Champion standard work to drive consistent use of best practices across teams
- Regularly help the team troubleshoot issues to minimize downtime and maintain product quality
- Identify opportunities to improve the process (e.g. cycle times, ease of execution, reliability)
- Support work as needed to implement improvements (e.g. scheduling, staffing, protocol execution)
- Coach team members in executing smaller improvement projects in their operational area
- Represent Operations on project teams as needed
- Lead and support daily (Tier) meetings to facilitate flow of information up/down through the organization
- Hold regular team meetings to cascade information and collect team feedback
- Provide clear consistent communication from shift to shift
- Escalate issues as needed to ensure the right support/awareness is given to issues as they arise
- Serve as an SME during tours to provide area/process overview information to visitors/auditors upon request
Quality & Safety Compliance
- Foster strong safety culture on the team through actions, coaching, and prioritization
- Coach individuals when reporting safety issues and completing corrective/preventative actions
- Drive culture of compliance through actions, consistent quality-driven decision making, and coaching of the team (e.g. documentation, housekeeping, area 5S, etc.)
- Participate in safety/regulatory audits (i.e. tours, topic discussion)
- Coach the team to ensure SAP transaction completion is timely and accurate
- Manage team staffing and overtime to support customer demand while meeting budget targets
- Recognize opportunities for cost savings and communicates them for potential project chartering
Education Minimum Requirement:
- High School Diploma/GED
- Bachelor’s degree Preferred
Required Experience and Skills:
- Minimum 4 years of experience in a manufacturing, technical, or support role in regulated manufacturing environment
- Demonstrated ability to lead a team (i.e. experience leading directly as a supervisor/coach or indirectly as part of a project or through routine process execution)
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and coordinate people/resources to meet a production schedule
- Strong interpersonal, communication, and problem-solving skills
- Willingness to work a 12 hour rotation (2-2-3) night-shift schedule, including some weekends
Preferred Experience and Skills:
- Previous supervisory experience in a GMP-regulated manufacturing environment
- Experience using electronic manufacturing systems (e.g. PAS-X, SAP, Delta-V, etc.)
- Experience interacting with regulatory auditors as part of area tours and/or topic discussion
- Lean Six Sigma certification
Your role at Merck is integral to helping the world meet new breakthroughs that affect generations to come, and we’re counting on your skills and inventiveness to help make meaningful contributions to global medical advancement. At Merck, we’re inventing for life.
If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at email@example.com.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
Job: Manuf./Operations Generic
Employee Status: Regular
Number of Openings:
Shift (if applicable):
Company Trade Name: Merck