Associate Director, Business Development & Licensing - MRL
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. The difference between potential and achievement lies in the spark that fuels innovation and inventiveness; this is the space where Merck has codified its legacy for over a century. Merck’s success is backed by ethical integrity, forward momentum, and an inspiring mission to achieve new milestones in global healthcare.
Merck is on a quest for cures and is committed to being the world’s premier, most research-intensive biopharmaceutical company. Today, we’re doubling down on this goal. Merck Research Laboratories is a true scientific research facility of tomorrow, and will take Merck’s leading discovery capabilities and world-class small molecule and biologics R&D expertise to create breakthrough science that radically changes the way we approach serious diseases.
The Transactions group within Business Development & Licensing-MRL is a dynamic and highly focused group responsible for delivering on an enhanced mandate for business development in support of MRL’s external strategy and objectives. The successful candidate will be responsible for negotiating a broad spectrum of transactions in the discovery and preclinical stage across all therapeutic and functional areas with external academic, government and industry partners worldwide.
Primary responsibilities will include:
- Liaise with Merck Research Scientists, Senior Management, Corporate Legal, and Patent Legal to prepare and negotiate agreements, including but not limited, to material transfer, license, evaluation, and research collaboration agreements.
- Draft using template legal agreements based upon scientific work plans, budgets, business needs, intellectual property needs and compliance considerations.
- Perform due diligence on all agreements.
- Educate and influence MRL scientists and senior management, both in executional aspects and relational aspects of external partnering.
- Establish solid working relationships with external academic partners in the San Francisco area
- Negotiate with external counterparts to execute agreements in a timely manner.
- Maintain alignment with MRL and other partners to deliver on intense, aggressive BD and external strategy goals set by the corporation and/or MRL.
- Problem solve during negotiations and applying sound judgment in reviewing and modifying agreements/ contracts
- BS or MS in a biological science. MBA a plus.
- Minimum of 3 years experience in pharmaceutical licensing/business development roles OR other relevant pharmaceutical development and
- Demonstrated leadership, judgment, and creativity in applying analytical frameworks and solutions to business- and discovery-stage scientific issues are critical
- Candidate must demonstrate suburb interpersonal skills well as the ability to influence others.
- Ability to multi-task and support a large number of Agreements and maintain accurate database records
- Exceptional written, verbal, and organizational skills are essential.
- At least 3 years’ experience in laboratory research, preferably in the pharmaceutical secto
Your role at Merck is integral to helping the world meet new breakthroughs that affect generations to come, and we’re counting on your skills and inventiveness to help make meaningful contributions to global medical advancement. At Merck, we’re inventing for life.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to email@example.com.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
Job: Business Development
Employee Status: Regular
Number of Openings: 1
Shift (if applicable):
Company Trade Name: Merck