Associate Biomarker Leader (Associate Director Medical Affairs)
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. The difference between potential and achievement lies in the spark that fuels innovation and inventiveness; this is the space where Merck has codified its legacy for over a century. Merck’s success is backed by ethical integrity, forward momentum, and an inspiring mission to achieve new milestones in global healthcare.
Merck’s Oncology organization is dedicated to delivering breakthrough innovations that extend and improve the lives of cancer patients worldwide. Our team of dauntless, forward-thinking individuals achieves this through an unwavering commitment to supporting accessibility to medicine, providing new therapeutic procedures, and collaborating with governments and payers to ensure that people who need medicines have access to them. At Merck, our focus is on innovation and launch execution excellence; we translate breakthrough science into innovative medicines that help people with cancer across the globe.
The Associate Biomarker Leader is responsible for supporting the execution of the Biomarker and Companion Diagnostics Medical Affairs strategy in the Oncology Medical Affairs for one or more indications and diagnostic technology platforms. The Associate Biomarker Leader is Headquarter-based and works closely with the regions and countries for coordination of biomarker diagnostic activities.
Primary Activities include but are not limited to the following:
- Executes Medical Affairs strategy for biomarkers & companion diagnostics
- Plans and oversees additional training programs both internally and externally
- Coordinates, presents at and attends Advisory boards and other meetings with Scientific Leaders
- Conducts individual Scientific Leader and Pathologist interactions with other team members
- Helps with planning of various activities around major oncology congresses
- Supports collaboration partnership for Launch Preparation and Post-launch activities
- Helps with tracking and review of Investigator initiated study proposals and other types of proposals concerning biomarkers and diagnostics
- Helps with coordination and planning of monthly Medical Affairs team meetings with Merck stakeholders and with collaboration partners
- Interacts with professional societies and advocacy groups for coordination of activities around biomarker education and awareness
- Participates in Diagnostic Development Team meetings for relevant programs
- Required: PhD or MD with a strong foundation in life sciences e.g. molecular biology, genomics or oncology.
Required Experience and Skills**:
- Minimum of (4) years of experience at a pharmaceutical, biotechnology or diagnostics company
- Experience with at least one of the following: oncology clinical biomarker development, companion diagnostic development or next generation sequencing platforms
- Minimum three years experience working in cross functional matrix teams
- Experience working with diverse teams and functions
- Strong ability to effectively collaborate
- Proven ability to resolve issues
- Outstanding verbal and written communications skills
- Strong organizational skills
Preferred Experience and Skills:
- Minimum of (6) years of experience working in industry.
- Experience working globally strongly preferred.
- Experience working in a multi-company collaboration is a plus.
Your role at Merck is integral to helping the world meet new breakthroughs that affect generations to come, and we’re counting on your skills and inventiveness to help make meaningful contributions to global medical advancement. At Merck, we’re inventing for life.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
Job: Medical Affairs Generic ONC
Employee Status: Regular
Travel: Yes, 25 % of the Time
Number of Openings:
Shift (if applicable):
Company Trade Name: Merck