Specialist, Labor Relations
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. The difference between potential and achievement lies in the spark that fuels innovation and inventiveness; this is the space where Merck has codified its legacy for over a century. Merck’s success is backed by ethical integrity, forward momentum, and an inspiring mission to achieve new milestones in global healthcare.
Right now, thousands of Merck associates are working to cure the world’s most complex diseases. We know that our people are the key to our success, which is why our Human Resources organization takes pride in building teams of skilled, forward-thinking individuals who contribute to Merck’s pioneering medical advancements. Our Human Resources department shares a spirit of attentive enthusiasm that helps support our associates in achieving new milestones in global healthcare.
- In conjunction with Labor Lead, provides day-to-day and strategic labor relations consultation and support to managers of bargaining unit employees (multiple unions) on contract interpretation, grievance administration, investigations and corrective action. Plays a supporting role preparing for and participating in arbitrations and contract negotiations.
- In conjunction with Labor Lead, works with senior management and union leadership to facilitate site business objectives. Sources appropriate resources to address labor issues and help to facilitate a high performance organization through transparent and equitable issue resolution.
- Collaborates with other HR professionals to develop and implement comprehensive labor relations and positive employee relations (PER) training for non-union sites. Monitors external trends and best practices in the field of labor and employee relations. Also supports multi-site projects of HR Labor and Employee Relations COE and business objectives.
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Minimum 2 years’ experience in either an HR/Labor Relations role in a union environment or in a management position supervising union personnel (or both)
- Experience with contract administration and interpretation, investigations and grievance handling and problem resolution
- Proficient in Microsoft Office software
- Must exhibit sound research and analytical skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication as well as organizational skills with demonstrated ability to work with all levels of employees
- Experience working both independently and collaboratively in a fast-paced environment, meeting aggressive deadlines and maintaining the flexibility to work on multiple projects and tasks simultaneously
- Experience maintaining a union-free environment, HR generalist, change management and project management experience
- Experience developing and conducting training and preparing executive presentations/reports
Your role at Merck is integral to helping the world meet new breakthroughs that affect generations to come, and we’re counting on your skills and inventiveness to help make meaningful contributions to global medical advancement. At Merck, we’re inventing for life.
If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
Job: Labor Relations
Employee Status: Regular
Travel: Yes, 5 % of the Time
Number of Openings:
Shift (if applicable):
Company Trade Name: Merck