Scientist, Immune Tolerance
An opportunity for a discovery biologist is available to join Moderna's early discovery and innovation incubator, New Venture Labs. New Venture Labs utilizes multidisciplinary approaches to understand protein structure, molecular signaling pathways, and dynamics of novel targets in preparation for their advancement into our drug discovery pipeline. Basic and applied research areas of interest include the immunopathogy of autoimmune disorders and the MOA of tolerance induction, for example, regulatory DC and regulatory T cell biology.
Here's What You'll Do:
Specific projects will involve collaborative interactions in a multidisciplinary group and across diverse biology areas that target proteins and pathways in DC and T cell biology. This is a basic research position that requires critical thinking, flexibility, multitasking, and the ability to learn new techniques.
- Design and execution of well-controlled in vivo and in vitro experiments to demonstrate proof-of-concept in pre-clinical models of autoimmunity, and further develop deep mechanistic understanding of tolerogenesis
- In-depth characterization of cellular and humoral immune responses in various mouse models of autoimmunity and humoral immunity.
- Develop, execute, and trouble-shoot assays, including in vitro differentiation of mouse/human dendritic and T cell subsets for in vitro assays, flow cytometry, ELISA, and microscopy.
- Manage collaborative relationships with project leads, key internal and external stakeholders, and the Moderna research leadership to resource and advance portfolio projects.
- Share and contribute scientific and technical know-how and experience with team members.
- Clearly analyze, communicate, and present scientific findings to senior management and teams to influence decision making from Immunology perspective
Here's What You'll Bring to the Table:
- Ph.D. in immunology with 3 or more years spent overseeing the interaction of the immune system in the autoimmunity, transplantation, and inflammatory diseases (in vivo models).
- Strong level of understanding and expertise in either one or more of the following: dendritic cell and Treg biology, immunology, nanoparticle biology, the complement system
- Demonstrated ability to design and execute new experimental approaches
- Publication of original scientific work in high-quality journals
- 3 years of independent research experience in the pharmaceutical or biotech industry will be a plus
- Excellent team spirit, communication and presentation skills
Why join Moderna Therapeutics
We are pioneering a new class of medicines made of messenger RNA, or mRNA. The potential implications of using mRNA as a drug are significant and far-reaching. It could transform not only how certain diseases are treated but also how medicines are discovered, developed and manufactured - at a breadth, scale and speed not common in the biopharma industry.
Since our founding in 2011, we have built the industry's leading mRNA technology platform, the infrastructure to accelerate drug discovery and speed early development, a rapidly expanding pipeline, and an unparalleled team. Our development pipeline includes development candidates for mRNA-based vaccines and therapies spanning several therapeutic areas, and we have multiple clinical trials already underway with other development candidates progressing toward the clinic. In addition, we have a number of discovery programs that are advancing toward the development stage.
We invite you to explore our site to learn more about our company and how we are advancing the promise of mRNA science to improve health and impact lives around the world.
Deliver on the promise of mRNA science to create a new generation of transformative medicines for patients.
Moderna is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person's race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Moderna will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.