Sr Scientist - Chemistry, Modeling and Informatics
Merck Research Laboratories South San Francisco, a wholly owned subsidiary of Merck and Co., is focused on driving discovery research. Our new multi-disciplinary discovery research site offers state-of- the-art resources to explore the most promising science combined with Merck’s world-class R&D expertise in small molecules and biologics. Located within the heart of the Bay area’s biomedical community, research conducted in our new laboratories spans exploratory biology through early clinical development and is an integral part of Merck’s powerful world-class network of drug and vaccine discovery.
At Merck, we are inspired by the belief that a research-driven enterprise dedicated to scientific excellence can create medicines and vaccines that save and improve lives. Every employee is building on our proud legacy of scientific breakthrough. Our ability to impact the lives of patients worldwide depends on the integrity, creativity, humility and scientific acumen of our team. We are creating a diverse organization that is inspired by invention and founded on a culture of respect and collaboration. At Merck Research Labs South San Francisco, you’ll have the opportunity to expand your knowledge and skills through collaboration with talented and dedicated colleagues while advancing your career.
Merck is currently seeking a highly motivated and exceptional computational the Chemistry, Modeling and Informatics group at our South San Francisco, CA site. The successful candidate will join multidisciplinary, highly collaborative discovery teams to invent novel medicines by applying advanced computational techniques and developing innovative computational methods. Location: This position will be based in Kenilworth, NJ, for the first 3-6 months, and then permanently transition to South San Francisco as we approach completion of construction of the new Merck South San Francisco site. The ability to accommodate this location requirement is essential.
Specific responsibilities will include the following:
- Collaboration with discovery teams to invent novel medicines
- Application of informatics and modeling techniques to accelerate the evolution of drug discovery leads to drug candidates.
- Continuing research in new areas of molecular modeling relevant to drug discovery and development
- Maintaining an external scientific presence including authoring significant scientific publications and presentations
Education and Work Experience Requirements:
- Ph.D. in Chemistry, Biochemistry, Biophysics, or equivalent, preferably with a Computational Chemistry emphasis.
- Multiple publications and external presentations demonstrating creative application of computational approaches to problems of biological or chemical interest.
- Experience with Linux andhigh-performance computing.
- Experience with Linux and high-performance computing.
- Experience with scripting/programming languages such as Python and Perl
- Demonstrated ability to apply quantum chemistry methods to problems of biological interest
- Demonstrated ability to use molecular modeling packages such as MOE, Schrodinger, and OpenEye
The quality of our team is essential to our success. We are creating a new and innovative approach to rewarding our employees and establishing a comprehensive value proposition. Our competitive compensation program and benefits are designed to support the wide range of goals, needs and lifestyles of our employees, and the people that matter the most in their lives. If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at email@example.com.
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. Today, we are building a new kind of healthcare company – one that is ready to help create a healthier future for us all.
Merck is an equal opportunity employer, Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran – proudly embracing diversity in all of its manifestations.
Job: Research Science
Employee Status: Regular
Number of Openings: 1
Shift (if applicable):
Company Trade Name: Merck