Research Associate I - Laboratory for Cellular Medicine
City of Hope, an innovative biomedical research, treatment and educational institution with over 5,000 employees, is dedicated to the prevention and cure of cancer and other life-threatening diseases and guided by a compassionate, patient-centered philosophy.
Founded in 1913 and headquartered in Duarte, California, City of Hope is a remarkable non-profit institution, where compassion and advanced care go hand-in-hand with excellence in clinical and scientific research. City of Hope is a National Cancer Institute designated Comprehensive Cancer Center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, an alliance of the nation's 20 leading cancer centers that develops and institutes standards of care for cancer treatment.
Research Associate I - Laboratory for Cellular Medicine
A position of Research Associate I (RA I) is open at the Laboratory for Cellular Medicine (LCM), Center for Gene Therapy. The candidate will join a well-established group performing cutting-edge research and clinical trials of gene and stem cell therapy, including first-in-human studies. This is a fast-paced laboratory, which work includes translational research to validate new strategies, the development of new processes and the manufacturing of cellular products for clinical trials, as well as QC and correlative studies associated with these trials. The selected candidate will be trained in the necessary techniques and procedures, and will have the opportunity to contribute to pioneering medical research.
The candidate will follow established City of Hope and department policies, procedures, objectives, performance improvement, attendance, safety, environmental, and infection control guidelines, including adherence to the workplace Code of Conduct and Compliance Plan. The candidate is expected to practice a high level of integrity and honesty in maintaining confidentiality. This position requires rigorous adherence to approved SOPs and worksheets, and accurate documentation of work performed and data. Work hours may vary, depending on the schedule of the clinical studies.
Performs a variety of laboratory techniques and assays required for research experiments. Records and validates results for accuracy and completeness.
Responsible for accurately recording work performed including results and methodology. Calculates, compiles and analyzes data obtained from work performed.
Troubleshoots procedures if results are unexpected or unsatisfactory, and recommends alternative procedures.
Prepare or may modify standard operating procedures (SOPs) of specialized procedures.
Evaluates research data and contributes to troubleshooting.
Contributes to the training of other laboratory staff in specialized procedures and use of equipment.
Keeps informed of new and improved techniques.
Ensures that all laboratory activities are carried out in compliance with each procedure(s) by utilizing safety procedures and guidelines in handling, storage and disposal of bio-hazardous, infectious and toxic material.
- Utilizing laboratory equipment and established protocols, performs a variety of research experiments. Records and validates results for accuracy and completeness.
- May modify protocols
- Write standard operating procedures and reports.
- Maintains records of work performed including results and methodology; utilizing records may calculate, graph and compile data.
- Develops techniques and expertise in one or more areas relevant to laboratory research project.
- Ensures that all laboratory activities are carried out in compliance with safety procedures and guidelines in handling, storage and disposal of materials.
Follows established City of Hope and department policies, procedures, objectives, performance improvement, attendance, safety, environmental, and infection control guidelines, includingadherence to theworkplaceCode of Conduct and Compliance Plan. Practices a high level of integrity and honesty in maintaining confidentiality.
Performs other related duties as assigned or requested.
The following shared, organization-wide competencies describe the desired behaviors that will facilitate success at City of Hope:
- Communication - Expresses ideas clearly and constructively (written and spoken, upward and downward, one-on-one and with groups).
- Customer Service - Seeks to understand customer needs and works to exceed customer expectations (internal and external).
- Initiative - Looks for opportunities to improve performance; manages time, work, and relationships effectively and efficiently.
- Professionalism - Treats others with respect; abides by the institutional values; displays a positive and cooperative attitude; adheres to the workplace Code of Conduct and compliance policies.
- Stewardship - Identifies efficiencies to reduce redundancy and/or elimination of tasks resulting in savings of cost, resources, and or/time.
- Teamwork - Works proactively and collaboratively with others to streamline work and achieve mutual goals.
Minimum Education and Skills Required for Consideration:
- Bachelor's degree on biological sciences or bioengineering discipline; preference to candidates with a Master's degree.
- 0-2 years of research/laboratory experience.
- At least one year of experience of laboratory work, preferred.
- Professional experience in research involving Cell Biology and Molecular Biology.
- Preference will be given to candidates with some experience on cGMP and/or QC work, preparation of SOPs.
- Preference will be given to candidates with experience on: tissue culture techniques; processing and analyses of human cells; cell staining and flow cytometry; and, RNA preparation and qPCR.
- Excellent computer skills
- Personal computer
- Basic Laboratory equipment; such as
Working / Environmental Conditions
- Smoke free environment
- May be exposed to toxic chemicals
- Subject to regularly changing priorities or work assignments
Protective Equip: May be Required
- Must wear PPE as required
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
City of Hope is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.