City of Hope, an innovative biomedical research, treatment and educational institution with over 5,000 employees, is dedicated to the prevention and cure of cancer and other life-threatening diseases and guided by a compassionate, patient-centered philosophy.
Founded in 1913 and headquartered in Duarte, California, City of Hope is a remarkable non-profit institution, where compassion and advanced care go hand-in-hand with excellence in clinical and scientific research. City of Hope is a National Cancer Institute designated Comprehensive Cancer Center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, an alliance of the nation's 20 leading cancer centers that develops and institutes standards of care for cancer treatment.
Performs original research in the Department of Systems Biology. Also performs all technical aspects of the Department of Systems Biology. Evaluates and introduces new materials, methods and equipment to help determine the feasibility and or adaptability for the Department of Systems Biology. Assists the Department Chair in development of new technologies, participation in quality control, quality assurance and quality improvement procedures. Assists Technical Associates in technical aspects of the laboratory. Has
The following are essential job accountabilities:
Research: Oncogenic signal transduction . Perform original research including, but not limited to, the role of kinases, phosphatases, transcription factors in regulating oncogenic cell signaling and metabolism.
* Read and analyze the relevant literature.
* Develop cutting-edge methodologies in gene editing, transcriptional regulation (inducible dCas9 regulators), computational biology tools.
* Contribute new ideas, actively engage in scientific discussion, provide expertise to inform discussion of new concepts
* Contribute to lab meetings and research Clubs
* Contributing to a positive lab environment including the spirit of collaboration and helping others
* Supervision of post-doctoral fellows and technologists as relevant for research activities.
* Develop and maintain world expertise in a suite of genes studied by the Systems Biology
* Write original scientific manuscripts.
* Review scientific manuscripts and grant applications
* Contribute and assist in grant applications.
- Pathway to scientific independence: Develop concepts for own grant application with support from Department Chair.
- Contribute to quality controls, verification of scientific results, rigor and robustness of scientific data by mentoring junior members of the Department.
- Contribute to good record keeping, archiving of primary research data, assist with implementation of digital laboratory note books that can be shared among all members of the group, contribute to building and maintenance of a shared file server structure.
- Act as role model and contribute to good experimental practice, SOPs, laboratory safety and animal welfare.
- Participate in teaching activities of the Department and the Graduate School.
- Attend scientific conferences and present work of the group.
Maintains professional growth and development through seminars, workshops, and professional affiliations to maintain certification/licensure, and/or keep abreast of latest trends in field of expertise.
Attends departmental meetings as required and participates in the department continuing education program.
Follows established City of Hope and department policies, procedures, objectives, performance improvement, attendance, safety, environmental, and infection control guidelines, includingadherence to theworkplaceCode of Conduct and Compliance Plan. Practices a high level of integrity and honesty in maintaining confidentiality.
Performs other related duties as assigned or requested.
The following job accountabilities may be reassigned:
Assists in care and maintenance of laboratory work area and furnishings/equipment.
 The performance of this function is the reason that the job exists.
 There are limited employees among whom the performance of this function can be distributed.
 This function occupies a great deal of the employee's time
 This function is highly specialized. Employees are hired for the skill/ability to perform this.
 Failure to perform this function may have serious consequences.
 Exposure to bloodborne pathogens that requires use of personal protective equipment.
 AGE SPECIFIC TRAINING: ALL AGES
Ph.D. degree in Biology or related field of science
Five years in Molecular or Cell Biology
Trouble-shooting analytical procedures and equipment problems, resolving technical problems. Complex assay development.
Preferred Field of Expertise
Molecular and Cell Biology
Work independently. Foster and promote a positive image and professional appearance.
Calculate statistical data
Microsoft Office Professional, preferred
Computer peripheral equipment
Print processor and darkroom equipment
Working / Environmental Conditions
Atmosphere and environment associated with a laboratory
Likely exposure to infection from disease-bearing specimens
Potential exposure to hazards of handling diseased organs/tissues
Likely exposure to odorous chemicals and specimens
Occasionally subjected to irregular hours
Occasional pressure due to multiple tests
Exposed to material of a confidential nature on a regular basis
Pressure due to deadline requirements
Covers varied shifts, weekends and holidays
Regularly exposed to the risk of blood borne pathogens
Potential exposure to mutagenic substances
Req. Protective Equipment
Non-Sterile Medical Gloves
Moderate physical effort (lift/carry up to 25 lbs.)
Occasional prolonged standing/walking
Occasionally lifts supplies/equipment
Manual dexterity and mobility
Occasional reaching, stooping, bending, kneeling, crouching
Depth Perception: ability to judge distance and space relationships
Accommodation: ability to adjust vision to bring objects into focus
Color Vision: ability to distinguish and identify different colors
Works at tasks involving focused concentration
Excellent oral/written communication and organizational skills
City of Hope is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.