Mgr, Clinical Services
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. The difference between potential and achievement lies in the spark that fuels innovation and inventiveness; this is the space where Merck has codified its legacy for over a century. Merck’s success is backed by ethical integrity, forward momentum, and an inspiring mission to achieve new milestones in global healthcare.
Merck is on a quest for cures and is committed to being the world’s premier, most research-intensive biopharmaceutical company. Today, we’re doubling down on this goal. Merck Research Laboratories is a true scientific research facility of tomorrow, and will take Merck’s leading discovery capabilities and world-class small molecule and biologics R&D expertise to create breakthrough science that radically changes the way we approach serious diseases.
The Manager Clinical Services position under the guidance of a West Point LAR operations, works to provide world class animal care to impact drug development and discovery and improve human health.
With Minimal direction and in compliance with departmental Standard Operating Procedures, MRL study requirements, as well as applicable regulations and guidelines to include USDA regs, NIH Guide and, Good Laboratory Practices, oversees the details of animal care and related activities of Laboratory Animal Resources, to include direct supervision of and leadership of up to 15 animal care workers. Has responsibility for the training, development, motivation and safety of reporting hourly personnel. Makes work assignments, ensures completion and quality, and administers personnel policies and contract employee agreements. Ensures that quality support of research laboratory animal programs is a team effort between LAR, research staff and other support organizations. Collaborates across projects; communicates work related information to project teams: some contacts outside the department / Company; may represent functional group on department teams or committees. Independently carries out technical duties related to laboratory practices, supplies organization, and laboratory records management.
- Engages in interdepartmental collaborations with other members of the MRL community.
- Compiles managerial reports as required ( manpower, attendance, records)
- Communicates effectively, both verbal and written, with departmental and research staff.
- Assume a lead role in training of departmental and research staff in specific activities.
- Provides direction for up to 15 animal care personnel in providing laboratory animal care and husbandry.
- Oversees the ordering of animals to meet research needs. Support activities include coordinating animal purchases with area veterinarians to ensure adequate housing; equipment and manpower support are available.
- In collaboration with other LAR personnel develops and implements equipment and process validation programs. This includes but is not limited to, the validation of sanitation procedures, water testing, airborne particulate analysis, and temperature and light level testing and validation.
- Maintains animal source and transaction records in compliance with Merck, state and federal requirements. Develops, implements, and monitors the use of SOPs for daily activities.
- Manages husbandry equipment including rack washers, bottle washers, Tunnels washers, automated bedding systems and bulk sterilizers, and trains employees in their operation.
- Is included in rotational holiday duty.
- This is an altered work week assignment covering weekend operations.
- Required: BS in Biology or related in vivo field
- Preferred: MS in Biology or related in vivo field
- Minimum of (2) years' experience in a Research in vivo field
- 5 year experience in a Research Laboratory in vivo management ALAT, AAALAS certification
Your role at Merck is integral to helping the world meet new breakthroughs that affect generations to come, and we’re counting on your skills and inventiveness to help make meaningful contributions to global medical advancement. At Merck, we’re inventing for life.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
Job: Laboratory Animal Services
Employee Status: Regular
Travel: Yes, 5 % of the Time
Number of Openings:
Shift (if applicable):
Company Trade Name: Merck