Sr. Research Associate/Engineer, DNA Technology Development
Moderna is seeking a highly skilled and motivated research associate/engineer with a strong background in molecular biology, genetics, or biology to help drive the development of new and exciting technologies related to DNA production. The successful candidate will, initially, be tasked with developing new microbial strains to be used for plasmid DNA synthesis and production. As such, candidates with previous experience related to metabolic engineering and microbial strain development are encouraged to apply. In addition, the successful candidate will have solid experience in molecular biology techniques including PCR, DNA cloning, protein expression, enzymatic reactions and assay development, cell transformation, and cell culture. This position will work with other RAs and Scientists within Technology Development and other Moderna departments.
This position's normal place of work will be at the facility in Norwood, MA, which is currently under construction. Until the Norwood facility is operational, the normal place of work will be Cambridge, Massachusetts.
Here's What You'll Do:
- Help develop new microbial strains for Moderna
- Help develop new technologies for strain development and DNA manipulation
- Perform experiments to test potential strain or process improvements
- Perform assays to characterize or measure key quality attributes of nucleic acids or microbial cultures
- Collaboration with operations, innovation, and development teams for coordinated improvement efforts
- Record and communicate findings
- Presentation of results at internal meetings
Here's What You'll Bring to the Table:
- B.S. or M.S. in molecular biology, genetics, biology, or related field
- 2-5+ years experience in an industrial setting
- Hands on work with microbial strain development
- Significant experience with molecular biology techniques related to strain development and synthetic biology (PCR, gene cloning, primer design, bacterial transformation and cell culture)
- Knowledge of metabolic engineering techniques and/or microbial metabolic pathways a plus
- Outstanding communication skills (verbal and written).
- Ability to manage multiple projects in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to effectively collaborate effectively in a dynamic, cross-functional matrix environment.
Here's What We'll Bring to the Table:
- Daily on-site catered lunches.
- Company-provided iPhone.
- Free parking, monthly subway pass or a subsidized commuter rail pass.
- Highly competitive healthcare coverage. Including: medical offered through BCBS (HMO/PPO), dental, and vision offered through VSP.
- Flexible Spending Accounts for medical expenses and dependent care expenses.
- 401k (traditional and Roth offered) with 50% match on first 6% deferred. Match is vested immediately.
- A suite of Moderna paid insurance coverage, including: life insurance, short-term and long-term disability
- Voluntary legal assistance plan
- 15 days' vacation and 7 sick days per year, in addition to a discretionary winter shut down and 11 company paid holidays.
- Adoption assistance, competitive parental leave, discount to local childcare centers, as well as access to Care.com
Why join Moderna Therapeutics
We are pioneering a new class of medicines made of messenger RNA, or mRNA. The potential implications of using mRNA as a drug are significant and far-reaching. It could transform not only how certain diseases are treated but also how medicines are discovered, developed and manufactured - at a breadth, scale and speed not common in the biopharma industry.
Since our founding in 2011, we have built the industry's leading mRNA technology platform, the infrastructure to accelerate drug discovery and speed early development, a rapidly expanding pipeline, and an unparalleled team. Our development pipeline includes development candidates for mRNA-based vaccines and therapies spanning several therapeutic areas, and we have multiple clinical trials already underway with other development candidates progressing toward the clinic. In addition, we have a number of discovery programs that are advancing toward the development stage.
We invite you to explore our site to learn more about our company and how we are advancing the promise of mRNA science to improve health and impact lives around the world.
Deliver on the promise of mRNA science to create a new generation of transformative medicines for patients.
Moderna is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person's race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Moderna will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.