Specialist, Project Management – Product Development; Global Project and Alliance Managemen...
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. The difference between potential and achievement lies in the spark that fuels innovation and inventiveness; this is the space where Merck has codified its legacy for over a century. Merck’s success is backed by ethical integrity, forward momentum, and an inspiring mission to achieve new milestones in global healthcare.
Merck is on a quest for cures and is committed to being the world’s premier, most research-intensive biopharmaceutical company. Today, we’re doubling down on this goal. Merck Research Laboratories is a true scientific research facility of tomorrow, and will take Merck’s leading discovery capabilities and world-class small molecule and biologics R&D expertise to create breakthrough science that radically changes the way we approach serious diseases.
Global Project and Alliance Management (GPAM) sits in the R&D organization at Merck (Merck Research Laboratories, or MRL). The Project Managers and Alliance Managers in GPAM are core members of discovery, development, and alliance teams at Merck. Project Managers drive these cross-functional teams to deliver projects and products that improve human health and Merck’s business, and Alliance Managers ensure successful collaborations with our R&D alliance partners. The GPAM Project Management Office (PMO) is responsible for the development, sustainment, and training of GPAM-owned systems, tools, and business processes as well as alignment with Finance, IT, and functional area operations groups within Merck.This position may be based in either Rahway, NJ (RY) or Upper Gwynedd, PA (UG).
Operating under the guidance of a Director or Associate Director, Project Management, the Specialist, in partnership with another GPAM professional, is a member of the Development Teams, to plan and execute Merck’s development and in-line portfolio efforts. Project managers are expected to participate in/or contribute to GPAM department initiatives and/or continuous improvement activities. The Specialist, PM specific responsibilities may include:
- Partner effectively with other GPAM professionals to ensure successful execution development team strategies and project plans. Projects may be in any phase of development (preclinical, clinical, lifecycle management) in any therapeutic area, including molecular entities of any modality (small molecule, biologic, vaccine, combination product). Projects range in priority, pace, and complexity, and may include one or more alliance partners.
- Attending and/or leading project sub-team meetings in which Project Management participates and/or leads (e.g., Clinical Subteam, EDTs, and PDTs) or in which Project Management does not regularly participate (e.g.SPMT, CSPT, VEST etc.) on an ad hoc basis
- Managing development team planning and scheduling (team timelines and deliverables) (e.g., MS Project)
- Leading discussions and resolutions of low complexity strategic issues which are scope-related
- Communicating and working across functions to follow-up on assignments / tasks
- Collaborating with external / alliance partners, as appropriate (program specific); ensure role clarity for partner
- Managing program team building and team rewards & recognition
- Effectively building relationships and collaborate with colleagues inside and outside of the department; as appropriate
- Overseeing program team site
- Providing technical guidance and training on project management tools to new PMs, as appropriate
- Participates in training courses to become educated and skilled in:
- Overall drug development knowledge
- Project management discipline (including PMP certification)
- Leadership capabilities
Initially partnering with another GPAM professional and over time developing independent responsibilities for:
- Drafting meeting agendas
- Ensuring program data are accurately reported in PM enterprise databases and team sites, and are understood by the program team members
- Learning how to use presentation / meeting material templates and participate in preparation of content; as appropriate
- Participating in development of risk assessments and creation of risk mitigation plans
- Participating in the clear communication of program issues / risks as they arise
- Partnering with Finance to ensure resources/budgets are planned and managed.
- Preparation of program status reports for both GPAM and/or other functional areas
- Preparation and/or participation for governance/decision making,as appropriate
- Participating in creation of strategy documents for committee review
- Bachelor's degree required with a concentration in a scientific-related discipline strongly preferred.
- Familiarity with drug discovery / development.
- A track-record of accomplishment in a project management type role is highly desirable.
- History of operational excellence, facilitation across diverse groups to deliver on objectives, ability to define solutions and formulate and execute on actions across a global organization.
- Highly organized and capable of working with attention to detail. Able to relate project details to larger project objectives.
- Effective interpersonal and teamworking skills; able to create and foster relationships and collaborations.
- An effective communicator:
- Demonstrated accomplishment and skill in oral and written communication.
- Knows when and how to speak up and appropriately raise issues to team and to management.
- Keeps both team members, departmental colleagues (as appropriate) and management fully apprised of project / initiative status and issues.
- In addition, applicant must be willing to work in office (RY or UG) at least 2 days/week (subject to departmental remote work policy).
- Advanced scientific degree (e.g., MS, PharmD, Ph.D.) or a combination of equivalent experience and training preferred.
- Two (2) years relevant work experience in a pharmaceutical, biotech, or academia setting (e.g.,chemistry, biological sciences, pharmaceutical engineering, etc.) preferred.
- Project Management certification / training (PMP) and / or coursework & training in Project Management preferred.
Your role at Merck is integral to helping the world meet new breakthroughs that affect generations to come, and we’re counting on your skills and inventiveness to help make meaningful contributions to global medical advancement. At Merck, we’re inventing for life.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
Job: Product Dev Proj/Prog Mgmnt
Employee Status: Regular
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time
Number of Openings:
Shift (if applicable):
Company Trade Name: Merck