Research Associate I - Jeremy Stark Lab
City of Hope, an innovative biomedical research, treatment and educational institution with over 5,000 employees, is dedicated to the prevention and cure of cancer and other life-threatening diseases and guided by a compassionate, patient-centered philosophy.
Founded in 1913 and headquartered in Duarte, California, City of Hope is a remarkable non-profit institution, where compassion and advanced care go hand-in-hand with excellence in clinical and scientific research. City of Hope is a National Cancer Institute designated Comprehensive Cancer Center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, an alliance of the nation's 20 leading cancer centers that develops and institutes standards of care for cancer treatment.
Research Associate I - Jeremy Stark Lab
A Research Associate I position is available at the Beckman Research Institute of the City of Hope in a lab focused on molecular genetic analysis of chromosomal stability in mammalian cells. Under the direct supervision of the Principle Investigator, Dr. Jeremy Stark, or designate, the Research Associate I performs a variety of routine and increasingly complex research experiments in cell and molecular biology. In addition to applying to this position, interested candidates should also forward their curriculum vitae to: Dr. Jeremy Stark, Department of Cancer Genetics and Epigenetics, City of Hope, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. The curriculum vitae should begin with a detailed personal statement on prior research experience and describing your interest in this position.
- Utilizing laboratory and core facility equipment and established protocols, performs a variety of research experiments. Records and validates results for accuracy and completeness.
- Write standard operating procedures and reports.
- Maintains records of work performed including results and methodology.
- Ensures that all laboratory activities are carried out in compliance with safety procedures and guidelines for handling, storage and disposal of materials.
- Maintains lab stocks/inventory.
- Performs other related duties as assigned or requested.
Follows established City of Hope and department policies, procedures, objectives, performance improvement, attendance, safety, environmental, and infection control guidelines, includingadherence to theworkplaceCode of Conduct and Compliance Plan. Practices a high level of integrity and honesty in maintaining confidentiality.
Performs other related duties as assigned or requested.
The following shared, organization-wide competencies describe the desired behaviors that will facilitate success at City of Hope:
- Communication - Expresses ideas clearly and constructively (written and spoken, upward and downward, one-on-one and with groups).
- Customer Service - Seeks to understand customer needs and works to exceed customer expectations (internal and external).
- Initiative - Looks for opportunities to improve performance; manages time, work, and relationships effectively and efficiently.
- Professionalism - Treats others with respect; abides by the institutional values; displays a positive and cooperative attitude; adheres to the workplace Code of Conduct and compliance policies.
- Stewardship - Identifies efficiencies to reduce redundancy and/or elimination of tasks resulting in savings of cost, resources, and or/time.
- Teamwork - Works proactively and collaboratively with others to streamline work and achieve mutual goals.
Minimum Education Skills Required for Consideration:
- Bachelor's degree in biological sciences, chemistry, or related fields. Degree may be anticipated, if it is scheduled to be completed by July 1, 2018.
- 0-2 years of research/laboratory experience.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Excellent interpersonal skills and strong scientific curiosity.
- Excellent computer skills
- Personal computer
- Basic Laboratory equipment; such as
Working / Environmental Conditions.
- Smoke free environment.
- May be exposed to toxic chemicals.
- Subject to regularly changing priorities or work assignments.
Protective Equipment: May be Required.
- Must wear PPE as required.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
City of Hope is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.