City of Hope, an innovative biomedical research, treatment and educational institution with over 5,000 employees, is dedicated to the prevention and cure of cancer and other life-threatening diseases and guided by a compassionate, patient-centered philosophy.
Founded in 1913 and headquartered in Duarte, California, City of Hope is a remarkable non-profit institution, where compassion and advanced care go hand-in-hand with excellence in clinical and scientific research. City of Hope is a National Cancer Institute designated Comprehensive Cancer Center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, an alliance of the nation's 20 leading cancer centers that develops and institutes standards of care for cancer treatment.
Requisition ID: 12987
Job Title: Staff Scientist
Position Summary and Key Responsibilities:
A Staff Scientist position is available at City of Hope.The Staff Scientist series is designed for career research professionals whose primary function is to support the research infrastructure and activities of the institution. Staff Scientists will bring special skills, knowledge and experience to research programs or institutional core laboratories. Individuals appointed as staff scientists will receive a one-year fixed-term contract.
- Perform clinical and translational analyses of the field of cancer research to come up with innovative investigative approaches and implementation strategies to guide the projects.
- Help the team members in laboratory to organize and interpret the details of experimental procedures and advise them as per project goals.
- Assist the PI in writing of protocols, grant proposals, and summary documents to internal and external grant agencies.
- Act as a key liaison on clinical and translational aspects for collaborative research projects with other PIs at City of Hope.
- Mentor internal and collaborating team members on clinical translational scope, significance and the strategies to be employed towards productive realization of project goals.
Minimum Education and Skills Required for Consideration:
- PhD in Biomedical Sciences with a strong focus on cancer biology. Additional clinical medical degree is a plus.
- The candidate should have clinical knowledge of cancers and have strong translational expertise in cancer therapy. This position requires highly motivated candidate with multidisciplinary expertise in clinical and molecular parameters who can independently develop the project.
- Experience in cancer therapeutics and analysis of signaling transduction networks is a plus. Candidate should have significant experience working in animal models of cancer.
- The candidate should have demonstrated research competence as evident by authorship of research articles in recognized journals of cancer research.
- Ability for multi-tasking and managing projects simultaneously with attention to multi-parametric details related to medical, molecular and biochemical investigations.
- Good oral and written communication skills and experience in dealing with team members to coordinate collaborative research activities.
- Strong background in the area of cancer research with broad experience in carcinogenesis and metastases signaling with additional strategic ability in contributing towards single and combination therapies.
- Experience in writing and contributing to grants, manuscripts and critical thinking skills for acting as a key contact on projects is essential.
- Management expertise as developed by training previous lab members is a plus.
Advanced Research and Managerial skills:
- Ability to serve as a key liaison on clinical and basic science parameters on translational oncology for team members.
- Experience in writing animal and human subject protocols, and grant applications essential as evident in previous positions.
- Keeping abreast of latest developments in oncology therapy to drive new project strategies.
City of Hope is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.