Director, Portfolio Management
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. The difference between potential and achievement lies in the spark that fuels innovation and inventiveness; this is the space where Merck has codified its legacy for over a century. Merck’s success is backed by ethical integrity, forward momentum, and an inspiring mission to achieve new milestones in global healthcare.
Merck Manufacturing Division, MMD, is a team of dedicated, energetic individuals who are committed to being the most trusted supplier of pharmaceuticals and health products worldwide. Our facilities, along with our external contractors, suppliers, and partners, comprise an interdependent global manufacturing network that’s committed to delivering a compliant, reliable supply to customers and patients on time, every time, across the globe.
The MMD Project Management Office is responsible for driving Division Level Programs (like QSIP) forward by providing project management support, process design, execution and monitoring, deployment, gap assessment and sustainment across the Merck Manufacturing Division (MMD). This also includes the risk assessment, change management and ruthless standardization in support of the journey to establish the PMO as the primary process and system that prioritizes and optimizes projects in support of the MMD strategy.
The PMO Director will work with the PMO/QSIP leadership to support the PMO and/or QSIP Work Stream leaders to achieve the outcomes identified for Program success. The role will work with MMD leadership, global site leadership, project leaders, work stream leaders, risk program leaders and other cross-functional teams, within and outside MMD, to design, execute and sustain division-level projects within the PMO process. The Director will be responsible for ensuring communication and collaboration within and across projects and work streams, actively leveraging MPS tools and capability, implementing and following standard work, driving accountability, promoting a culture of proactive risk ownership and management, and managing change.
- Manage the division-level project portfolio and work with business leaders and project leaders to prioritize, support, and deliver project outcomes.
- Develop, communicate and execute project plans in support of division-level projects and the PMO
- Ensure timely and effective upward communication (MMD leadership) and downward communication (e.g. MLT Chiefs of Staff, Regional Leads, global sites, functions, work streams)
- Lead discussions with topic SMEs, their teams, site and functions to achieve aligned plans and execution activities
- Analyze data and provide holistic, end-to-end coordinated assessments, targeting the audience with the necessary level of detail
- Provide project management expertise to project leaders, functions and sites
- Execute effective change management to promote a sustainable PMO culture and mind set of standardization and process effectiveness for projects across MMD
- Develop and coordinate execution of projects with ruthless standardization across the MMD network
- Monitor and measure current and/or new data to ensure expected outcomes as well as control performance
- Establish and maintain strong working relationship with Operating Unit leadership and site leadership
- Plan and lead benchmarking with industry best practices
- Manage continuous improvement activities and implement/follow standard work, leveraging partnerships with MPS colleagues
- Lead activities related to developing, implementing, and delivering change management to appropriate audience across the organization
- Collaborate on cross-divisional process improvement initiatives and identify linkages to global enterprise risk management
- Provide proactive support with the operationally challenging deployment activities at the site, Operating Unit, MMD, and Enterprise level
- BA/BS Required (Hard Sciences, Engineering, Business, Project Management or Supply Chain Management)
- Graduate degree in Business, Science, or Engineering preferred
- Proven leadership skills with a minimum of 10 years of experience spanning both strategic and operations roles
- Demonstrated experience in coordinating and project managing large, complex, cross-functional projects and portfolios of projects
- Knowledge of regulatory / industry requirements to work in a tightly regulated environment
- Experience in developing and executing complex project plans and the associated communications and change management strategies
- Strong communication and presentation skills at all levels (executive, customer, individual contributor) as well as interpersonal skills with the ability to develop high quality working relationships both internally and externally
- Strong business acumen and analytical skills, and the ability to identify and escalate scenarios that may represent risk exposures for the company
- Working knowledge of end-to-end supply chain processes (pharmaceutical experience preferred)
- Broad experience in pharma, food or specialty chemical products
- Rich experience in project management
- Ability to lead a cross-functional and globally dispersed team and excel in influencing with informal authority
- Ability to prioritize conflicting demands, apply a sense of urgency when necessary, effective follow-ups on tasks and activities, and sees things to completion without letting things fall through the cracks
- Identify & drive solutions in a complex, ambiguous environment and the ability to drive change and transform the business.
Your role at Merck is integral to helping the world meet new breakthroughs that affect generations to come, and we’re counting on your skills and inventiveness to help make meaningful contributions to global medical advancement. At Merck, we’re inventing for life.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to email@example.com.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
Job: Supply Chain Mgmnt Generic
Employee Status: Regular
Travel: Yes, 20 % of the Time
Number of Openings:
Shift (if applicable):
Company Trade Name: Merck