Animal Health Technician I
City of Hope, an innovative biomedical research, treatment and educational institution with over 5,000 employees, is dedicated to the prevention and cure of cancer and other life-threatening diseases and guided by a compassionate, patient-centered philosophy.
Founded in 1913 and headquartered in Duarte, California, City of Hope is a remarkable non-profit institution, where compassion and advanced care go hand-in-hand with excellence in clinical and scientific research. City of Hope is a National Cancer Institute designated Comprehensive Cancer Center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, an alliance of the nation's 20 leading cancer centers that develops and institutes standards of care for cancer treatment.
Requisition ID: 12682
Job Title: Animal Health Technician I
Position Summary and Key Responsibilities:
Under the supervision of the Animal Resources Center (ARC) Clinical Veterinarian, performs standard paraveterinary health care procedures. Performance of new standard procedures requiring ingenuity, resourcefulness and adaptability may be required. Procedures are typically performed with minimal supervision, usually in a clinical or laboratory animal setting.
- Performs daily observations of animal colonies for signs of illness and follows-up on animals reported ill on Animal Health Reports.
- Reports animal care problems and concerns to the veterinarian for consultation, advice or instructions.
- Administers any necessary medications or treatments as prescribed by the veterinarian including follow-up procedures and daily documentation of all procedures in the Animal Health Reports.
- Maintains current animal health reports, treatment and follow-up records.Documentation of such records is required for regulatory compliance and must be recorded daily into the ARC animal health log.
- Performs gross necropsies in accordance with veterinarian's instructions and appropriately prepares specimens for laboratory processing.
- Under the guidance of the Clinical Veterinarian conducts certain veterinary diagnostic procedures.Assists with maintenance of preventive medicine programs including routine parasitology on newly arriving animals, monthly prophylaxis on established colonies, maintenance of sentinel animal program and submission of animals, tumors and cell lines, and pathological specimens to contract diagnostic laboratories.
- Maintains current records of controlled substances in accordance with federal and state regulations.
- Assists in teaching activities which demonstrate techniques or procedures which are recorded and maintained as official documentation for regulatory compliance.Teaches/trains/mentors research personnel and students (graduate, veterinary, and undergraduate students/volunteers) as needed.
- Maintains sanitized, well stocked and organized procedure rooms, necropsy room and surgical suite, including preparing surgical packs, seeing that equipment and instruments are clean and functioning properly.
- Follows established City of Hope and department policies, procedures, objectives, performance improvement, attendance, safety, environmental, and infection control guidelines.Practices a high level of integrity and honesty in maintaining confidentiality.
Minimum Education and Skills Required for Consideration:
- Completion of AVMA accredited Animal Health Technician program or a B.S (preferably in Animal Science or a biological science)
- Laboratory animal research or clinical experience preferred
- RVT license preferred
City of Hope is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.