Staff Scientist - Integrative Genomics Core
City of Hope, an innovative biomedical research, treatment and educational institution with over 5,000 employees, is dedicated to the prevention and cure of cancer and other life-threatening diseases and guided by a compassionate, patient-centered philosophy.
Founded in 1913 and headquartered in Duarte, California, City of Hope is a remarkable non-profit institution, where compassion and advanced care go hand-in-hand with excellence in clinical and scientific research. City of Hope is a National Cancer Institute designated Comprehensive Cancer Center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, an alliance of the nation's 20 leading cancer centers that develops and institutes standards of care for cancer treatment.
Staff Scientist - Integrative Genomics Core Facility
Position Summary and Key Responsibilities:
A Staff Scientist position is available in Beckman Research Institute of City of Hope to perform analysis of large scale genomics data, specifically microarray and next-generation sequencing data. Develops analysis pipelines and applications for genomic data analysis and data mining.
- Works on various research projects as assigned under supervision of the director.
- Performs statistical and bioinformatics analyses of large scale genomic data, e.g. Illumina and PacBio
- Prepares summaries, presentations, manuscript sections and figures for the visualization and publication of complex data and results.
- Evaluates existing methods and develops applications for genomic data analysis and data mining
- Establishes schedules and monitors status of projects on an ongoing basis.
- Trains department personnel in the use of specialized and custom software packages and databases.
- Provides recommendations for the growth and improvement of the computer hardware and software infrastructure of the department.
- Enhances professional growth and development by reviewing current literature and by participation in educational programs, workshops, conferences, and inservice meetings.
- Maintains department records, reports, and files as required.
- Attends meetings as required.
- Performs special projects as assigned by management.
Follows established City of Hope and department policies, procedures, objectives, performance improvement, attendance, safety, environmental, and infection control guidelines, including adherence to the workplace Code of Conduct and Compliance Plan. Practices a high level of integrity and honesty in maintaining confidentiality.
The Staff Scientist series is designed for career research professionals whose primary function is to support the research infrastructure and activities of the institution. Staff Scientists will bring special skills, knowledge and experience to research programs or institutional core laboratories. Individuals appointed as staff scientists will receive a one-year fixed-term contract.
Minimum Education and Skills Required for Consideration:
- The Staff Scientist must possess, at a minimum, the U.S. equivalent masters degree in an appropriate discipline, and will often have a Ph.D. or other doctoral level degree.
- 2+years of relevant experience in applying statistical and computational methods to theanalysis, modeling and visualization of complex genomics data.
- Extensive knowledge of statistical analysis methods and models, mathematical and computational algorithm, such as machine learning algorithms.
- Experience with genomic data integration and data mining
- Proficient in R/Bioconductor programming
- Experience working with NGS data, such as Illumina Hiseq/miSeq and PacBio SMRT sequencing
- Familiar with at least one programming languages, such as R/Perl/Python/JAVA/C++ with R preferred
- Familiar with Biological databases, such as GEO and TCGA
- Familiar with open source and commercial software tools for genomic data analysis, such as BWA, TOPHAT, STAR, CUFFLINKS, IGV, VARSCAN, GATK, ANNOVAR, IPA, etc.
- Knowledge of molecular biology preferred.
- Experience with statistical, spreadsheet, graphics and word-processing software packages.
City of Hope is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.