City of Hope, an innovative biomedical research, treatment and educational institution with over 5,000 employees, is dedicated to the prevention and cure of cancer and other life-threatening diseases and guided by a compassionate, patient-centered philosophy.
Founded in 1913 and headquartered in Duarte, California, City of Hope is a remarkable non-profit institution, where compassion and advanced care go hand-in-hand with excellence in clinical and scientific research. City of Hope is a National Cancer Institute designated Comprehensive Cancer Center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, an alliance of the nationâ€™s 20 leading cancer centers that develops and institutes standards of care for cancer treatment.
Requisition ID: 12871
Job Title: Biostatistician I
Position Summary and Key Responsibilities:
Programs and summarizes statistical analyses of data from clinical research projects within the Department of Supportive Care Medicine under the guidance of the Principal Investigators. This position will help with statistical analyses of ongoing projects; help with statistical analyses of future projects; help with meta-analysis and grant preparations .Assists in the development of programs and databases using computer software to facilitate the conduct of the research studies within the Department.
- Consults on various research projects as assigned under supervision of the Principal Investigators..
- Programs statistical analyses using statistical software packages.
- Collaborates with department personnel on research projects, relating statistical methods to medical or biological sciences, in particular under epidemiologic and observational study settings.
- Participates in the design, quality control, analysis and reporting of research protocols within the Medical Center and the Beckman Research Institute.
- Prepares summary reports of results and analytic methods, including tabular and graphic displays of data.
- Develops, establishes schedules, and monitors status of special projects on an ongoing basis.
- Participates in database design for projects as assigned.
- Participates in the development and improvement of the database system and oversees activity related to data entry.
- Maintains department records, reports, and files as required.
- Enhances professional growth and development through participation in educational programs, reviewing current literature, attending in-service meetings, and workshops.
- Attends meetings as required.
Follows established City of Hope and department policies, procedures, objectives, performance improvement, attendance, safety, environmental, and infection control guidelines, includingadherence to theworkplaceCode of Conduct and Compliance Plan. Practices a high level of integrity and honesty in maintaining confidentiality.
Performs other related duties as assigned or requested.
Minimum Education and Skills Required for Consideration:
- Master's Degree in statistics, biostatistics, or a closely related field. Experience may substitute for minimum education requirements.
- Minimum Experience:One year experience in biostatistical consulting and analysis, expected working knowledge in statistical analyses of data (descriptive analyses, power analysis, multivariate analyses). Experience with behavioral studies is a plus. Experience conducting systematic reviews and meta-analysis (required).
- Preferred experience:Experience in Decision analyses and psychometrics, Biostatistics, Statistics, or closely related field. Experience with graphics, spreadsheet and word-processing software in a windows environment.
- Skills/Abilities:Excellent oral/written communication and organizational skills.
- Foster and promote a positive image and professional appearance.
- Compose letters/memorandums.
- Prepare reports.
- Troubleshoot problems.
- Software:Strong knowledge of statistical software packages including Stata, SAS and MS Access and other advanced applications
- Machines/Equipment: Personal computer.
- Computer peripheral equipment.
- Working/Environmental Conditions:Atmosphere and environment associated with an office setting.
- Occasionally subjected to irregular hours.
- Subject to regularly changing priorities and work assignments.
- Occasional pressure due to deadline requirements.
- Exposure to protected healthcare information (PHI) as defined by HIPAA.
- Occasional pressure due to multiple calls and inquiries.
- Physical demands:Moderate physical effort (lift/carry up to 25 lbs.).
- Mostly sedentary work.
- Occasional standing/walking.
City of Hope is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.