Associate Principal Scientist, Molecular Interactions
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. The difference between potential and achievement lies in the spark that fuels innovation and inventiveness; this is the space where Merck has codified its legacy for over a century. Merck’s success is backed by ethical integrity, forward momentum, and an inspiring mission to achieve new milestones in global healthcare.
Merck is on a quest for cures and is committed to being the world’s premier, most research-intensive biopharmaceutical company. Today, we’re doubling down on this goal. Merck Research Laboratories is a true scientific research facility of tomorrow, and will take Merck’s leading discovery capabilities and world-class small molecule and biologics R&D expertise to create breakthrough science that radically changes the way we approach serious diseases.
We are seeking an experienced and highly motivated Associate Principal Scientist with hands-on experience studying biomolecular interactions with label free technologies including surface plasmon resonance (Biacore) and Interferometry (Octet) to join the Antibody Generation Group in Merck’s Biologics unit in Palo Alto. Primary responsibilities will include designing, screening and characterizing antibody and protein interactions and affinity analyses to support biologics programs across multiple therapeutic areas. The selected candidate will be a hands-on manager of direct reports and is expected to work in the lab.
The successful candidate will be up-to-date on advanced technologies for antibody screening and will proactively apply new concepts as appropriate to continuously improve functional area capabilities.
- Requirement: PhD with a minimum of 4 years of related experience or a MS with a minimum of 8 years of related experience in biochemistry, biophysics, immunology or a related discipline of relevant experience in antibody discovery
- Expertise in Biacore based assay development, screening, and kinetic analysis
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent collaborative skills
- Previous experience managing direct reports with a proven track record of developing careers
- Experience working on therapeutic antibody discovery programs
- Experience in antibody binning
- Experience working with ForteBio Octet systems
- Experience working with MSD systems
- Experience with cell based assay development
- Experience leading discovery projects
Your role at Merck is integral to helping the world meet new breakthroughs that affect generations to come, and we’re counting on your skills and inventiveness to help make meaningful contributions to global medical advancement. At Merck, we’re inventing for life.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to email@example.com.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
Job: Molecular Discovery - Biologics
Employee Status: Regular
Travel: Yes, 5 % of the Time
Number of Openings:
Shift (if applicable):
Company Trade Name: Merck