Associate Principal Scientist – Protein Engineering
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. The difference between potential and achievement lies in the spark that fuels innovation and inventiveness; this is the space where Merck has codified its legacy for over a century. Merck’s success is backed by ethical integrity, forward momentum, and an inspiring mission to achieve new milestones in global healthcare.
Merck is on a quest for cures and is committed to being the world’s premier, most research-intensive biopharmaceutical company. Today, we’re doubling down on this goal. Merck Research Laboratories is a true scientific research facility of tomorrow, and will take Merck’s leading discovery capabilities and world-class small molecule and biologics R&D expertise to create breakthrough science that radically changes the way we approach serious diseases.
Highly motivated scientists are being sought to join the Protein Engineering group in the Department of Biochemical Engineering & Structure. The group works out of the Rahway, NJ site and multiple opportunities are available. Successful candidates will join a group of innovative scientists with broad deliverables ranging from evolved enzymes for biocatalytic implementation in drug manufacturing routes to the delivery of optimized protein scaffolds to enable discovery. These are scientific positions that require critical thinking, flexibility, multitasking, and the ability to bring in new technologies to enable rapid design, generation, and testing of engineered proteins.
- M.S with a minimum of 7 years experience OR Ph.D. with a minimum of 4 years experience in Biochemistry or related field
- Experience in directed evolution / engineering of proteins
- Proficient in current molecular biology and recombinant protein production technologies
- Experience with DNA sequencing (Sanger & NGS) and processing software such as Vector NTI, Sequencher, or equivalent
- Experience leading multi-disciplinary teams to deliver on goals
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Strong leadership and organizational skills
- Experience with high-throughput screening and automated liquid handling
- Experience with the engineering of proteins to enable incorporation of unnatural amino acids
- Experience characterizing the biophysical properties of proteins via SDS-PAGE, Western Blot, spectrophotometric assays, and SEC-HPLC
- Knowledge of biocatalysis
- Experience using analytical instrumentation such as UPLC, HPLC, LC-MS, and GC
- Good grasp of organic chemical principles and comfort with the use of organic chemicals
- Demonstrated ability to generate novel ideas and concepts
Your role at Merck is integral to helping the world meet new breakthroughs that affect generations to come, and we’re counting on your skills and inventiveness to help make meaningful contributions to global medical advancement. At Merck, we’re inventing for life.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
Employee Status: Regular
Number of Openings: 1
Shift (if applicable):
Hazardous Materials: Depends on program being supported
Company Trade Name: Merck