ASSOCIATE DIRECTOR, MEDICAL SCIENCE LIAISON, Surgery/Anesthesia (TX, OK, KS, NE, SD, ND)
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. The difference between potential and achievement lies in the spark that fuels innovation and inventiveness; this is the space where Merck has codified its legacy for over a century. Merck’s success is backed by ethical integrity, forward momentum, and an inspiring mission to achieve new milestones in global healthcare.
Merck’s Global Human Health (GHH) Division abides by a “patient first, profits later” ideology. Results-driven and ambitious, this team of individuals represents a functional balance between meeting company objectives and the needs of people around the world. The organization is comprised of sales and marketing professionals who are passionate about their role in bringing Merck's prescription medicines, vaccines, and other medical products to our customers worldwide.
- Identify appropriate Scientific Leaders (SLs) with input from manager. Develops professional relationships and communicates with assigned SLs to ensure access to medical and scientific information on Merck products and areas of therapeutic interest. Ensures SLs have a medical contact within Merck.
- Conduct peer-to-peer scientific discussions and maintain a reliable presence with those SLs to identify needs/opportunities to improve population health in assigned therapeutic area(s); discusses appropriate evidence that can contribute to healthcare solutions
- Review headquarters-directed education and training to maintain current knowledge and understanding of dynamic scientific and clinical environment in Merck’s areas of interest.
- Direct scientific leader inquiries on issues outside of MSL scope of responsibilities (e.g., research, grants) to appropriate Merck resources consistent with applicable policies.
- When requested by Merck Research Laboratories (MRL), works with surgery/anesthesia Medical Affairs Strategy Lead (MASL) to identify potential investigators for consideration for participating in phase II-IV clinical development programs
- In response to unsolicited requests from scientific leaders, provide areas of interest and general high-level information regarding the Merck Investigator Study Program process.
- Attend scientific and medical meetings.
- MD, DO, PharmD, or PhD
- 2 or more years of clinical (patient care) or research experience in surgery/anesthesia therapeutic area(s) beyond that obtained in the terminal degree program. May include fellowship, residency, or work experience.
- Capable of conducting doctoral level discussions with key scientific leaders
- Strong focus on scientific education and dialogue
- Business and market knowledge, including quality management.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, and networking skills
- Must possess a thorough understanding of FDA, OIG, HIPAA and other ethical guidelines, laws, and regulations relevant to the pharmaceutical industry and its customers.
- Must be able to organize, prioritize, and work effectively in a constantly changing environment.
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite (Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Access).
- Field-based medical experience
- Clinical research experience
- Demonstrated record of scientific/medical publication
Your role at Merck is integral to helping the world meet new breakthroughs that affect generations to come, and we’re counting on your skills and inventiveness to help make meaningful contributions to global medical advancement. At Merck, we’re inventing for life.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
Job: Medical Affairs Generic
Employee Status: Regular
Travel: Yes, 50 % of the Time
Number of Openings:
Shift (if applicable):
Company Trade Name: Merck