Principal Scientist, Epidemiology
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. The difference between potential and achievement lies in the spark that fuels innovation and inventiveness; this is the space where Merck has codified its legacy for over a century. Merck’s success is backed by ethical integrity, forward momentum, and an inspiring mission to achieve new milestones in global healthcare.
Merck is on a quest for cures and is committed to being the world’s premier, most research-intensive biopharmaceutical company. Today, we’re doubling down on this goal. Merck Research Laboratories is a true scientific research facility of tomorrow, and will take Merck’s leading discovery capabilities and world-class small molecule and biologics R&D expertise to create breakthrough science that radically changes the way we approach serious diseases.
Under the general direction of an Executive Director, Epidemiology, the Principal Scientist, Epidemiology, has responsibility for the design, placement, conduct, analysis, and reporting of pharmacoepidemiologic research studies on assigned Merck products in Oncology therapy area and for providing consultation on epidemiologic issues to all areas of the company, as needed.
Primary activities include but are not limited to:
- May have overall responsibility for or assist in worldwide pharmacoepidemiologic planning and study recommendations for assigned Merck products in Oncology therapy area.
- Has lead responsibility or support responsibility for interaction with risk management subteams, value evidence subteams, clinical/regulatory subteams, and other areas of Merck Research Laboratories on epidemiologic matters related to product safety,risk management, post-marketing safety studies, post-authorization effectiveness studies, regulatory activities, endpoint qualification/standardization/training for clinical trials, and biomarkers/molecular epidemiology/genetic epidemiology.
- Has responsibility for the design, conduct, and analysis of epidemiologic research studies on assigned Merck products in Oncology therapy area.
- May present epidemiologic research plans or results to internal review and governance committees; to external agencies such as FDA (including advisory committees), EMA, CDC, AHRQ, and WHO; and at scientific conferences.
- Maintains close working relationships with colleagues in Clinical Research, Regulatory, Outcomes Research, Health Economics and Commercial. Assists them in areas where knowledge of epidemiology is relevant.
- Contributes to Merck's prestige by maintaining recognition as an expert in his/her field; may publish independent scientific research in leading journals, participate in and present at scientific organizations and meetings, and serve as a peer reviewer for scientific journals.
- May hold academic appointments, teach graduate courses, and supervise Ph.D. dissertations and post doctoral fellows.
- Required: PhD, or MD with additional research training in epidemiology, and at least 5 years of relevant work experience OR Master’s degree in epidemiology with at least 7 years of relevant work experience
- Relevant experience/training in epidemiology or closely related fields
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant experience in epidemiology
- Extensive experience in successful direction of large epidemiologic projects
- Broad knowledge and experience in the application of epidemiologic approaches to problems in the pharmaceutical or biotechnology industry
- Record of substantial research publications in peer-reviewed journals
- Creative problem solving ability and excellent communication skills (oral and written)
- Ability to work in a cross-functional team environment and to collaborate with colleagues with wide variety of background and expertise.
- Previous experience in oncology and/or biomarkers/molecular epidemiology/genetic epidemiology areas is preferred
Your role at Merck is integral to helping the world meet new breakthroughs that affect generations to come, and we’re counting on your skills and inventiveness to help make meaningful contributions to global medical advancement. At Merck, we’re inventing for life.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
Employee Status: Regular
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time
Number of Openings:
Shift (if applicable):
Company Trade Name: Merck