2018 MRL Data Science Co-Op
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. The difference between potential and achievement lies in the spark that fuels innovation and inventiveness; this is the space where Merck has codified its legacy for over a century. Merck’s success is backed by ethical integrity, forward momentum, and an inspiring mission to achieve new milestones in global healthcare.
Merck is on a quest for cures and is committed to being the world’s premier, most research-intensive biopharmaceutical company. Today, we’re doubling down on this goal. Merck Research Laboratories is a true scientific research facility of tomorrow, and will take Merck’s leading discovery capabilities and world-class small molecule and biologics R&D expertise to create breakthrough science that radically changes the way we approach serious diseases.
Who you are: You are adata scientist with interests in population health. You are inherently curiouswith a strong desire to design and prototype applications for data analyticsand interactive visualization in order to reveal relations in data beyond theobvious.
Where you fit in: Youwill collaborate with and support a diverse set of scientists in the Centerfor Observational and Real World Evidence (CORE) as you seek to push theboundaries of use of real world data to support product value evidence andother business imperatives. You will help identify business and scientificopportunities as you broaden the scope of collaboration with other functionsin the research laboratories. You will have the opportunity to collaboratewith IT professionals as you seek to turn meaningful findings into solutionsthat may be used in care management and clinical decision support. You willdo this in a vibrant research environment, with a strong innovative culture.
The candidate must behands-on and action oriented with a demonstrated ability to deliver ondata-driven research projects. The candidate has demonstrated ability toactively listen, integrate input from diverse sources, and collaborativelytranslate medical or business questions into data and analysis requirementsand a clear path forward.
- Design and prototype applications for data analytics andinteractive visualization
- Collaboratively develop analysis plans based on clinical orbusiness questions, and lead their execution through the use of existinganalytic approaches or the development of novel ones.
- Interpret data analysis results in clinical or businesscontext, and articulate the implications of the results to the businessfunction
- Collaborate with team members to meet project checkpoints andaccomplish team objectives
- Support the development of statistical models &methodologies in order to quantify, forecast, predict health metrics ofinterest
- Effectively communicate findings and methodological approaches
Keycompetencies, skills, and attributes:
- Advanced knowledge of a subset of analytical approaches (ex.machine learning, statistical analysis, predictive modeling, visualanalytics) and the desire to continually learn and grow your analyticalskillset
- Ability to work with image data
- Excellent communication skills with an ability to communicatecomplex matters in laymen’s terms
Potential Location: Upper Gwynedd, PA Boston, MA
- Candidates must have a advanced degree(MSc., MPH) in Biostatistics, Epidemiology, Computer Science, Informatics,Mathematics, or related field with a substantial statistical component, or BSdegree with 1+ year image analysis experience
- Candidates must have advanced hands-on knowledge of R and/or Python
- Candidates should be available to work for 4-6 months in summer of 2018
- Effective communication
- Experience with image recognition is preferred
- Experience with Spark platforms and related "big data" technologies is preferred
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
Job: Administrative Svcs Generic
Employee Status: Temporary
Travel: Yes, 5 % of the Time
Number of Openings:
Shift (if applicable):
Company Trade Name: Merck