Sr./Director, Business Development
Reporting to the Head, Business Development, the Sr. Director/ Director, Business Development will drive deal sourcing, due diligence, and negotiation activities of technology and product-focused collaborations and in-licensing opportunities.
Leveraging a broad base of prior pharmaceutical/ biotech industry experience, a high attention to detail, advanced analytical skills, and experience structuring complex licensing collaborations and acquisitions, the successful candidate will assume a key role in a business-critical function that directly impacts Moderna's mission of delivering a new generation of transformative medicines for patients.
Here's What You'll Do:
- Execute on Moderna's partnership and acquisition strategy, developing investment cases for various in-licensing opportunities, including deal-specific financial analysis, market research and competitive landscape review
- Collaborate with corporate and portfolio strategy teams to enable optimal partnership structures and value maximization potential
- Run prospective partnership discussion processes:
- Develop partnership investment cases (accounting for strategic, financial, legal and tax implications)
- Develop and present compelling, audience-specific scientific and business rationales at varying levels of detail
- Draft and negotiate term sheets
- Present to Moderna's Executive Committee on proposed paths to possible deals
- Work closely with legal counsel on drafting and negotiation of collaboration agreements
- Actively partner with finance, IP, legal, IR and alliance management
- Develop meaningful relationships with senior management both within Moderna and at potential partner companies
Here's What You'll Bring to the Table:
- 5-8+ years experience working for a pharmaceutical/biotech company in business development, licensing, and/or strategic analysis capacities
- JD, MBA, and/or advanced scientific degree
- Applied/ relevant experience in licensing partnership structuring, collaboration agreements negotiations, analytical evaluation, technical communication, transaction process management and project management
- Deep understanding of value frameworks and knowledge of financial evaluation techniques
- Ability to perform in-depth analyses of technologies, products, therapeutic areas and companies
- Transaction experience, as a BD/M&A professional or through professional services (e.g. investment banking firms, law firm, venture funds, or private equity)
- Ability to manage drafting sessions and exhibit creative thinking and high attention to detail in such sessions
- Knowledge of biotech industry intricacies (e.g. development risk, portfolio prioritization, approach to valuing pipeline assets, importance of regulation and intellectual property)
- Strong track record of high performance, while actively networked and engaged in biopharma BD communities
- Experience using databases: FactSet, EvaluatePharma, ThomsonReuters, CapitalIQ
- Professional gravitas necessary to make impactful first impressions
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills to communicate across levels and to various audiences
Here's What We'll Bring to the Table:
- Daily on-site catered lunche
- Company-provided iPhone
- Free parking, monthly subway pass or a subsidized commuter rail pass
- Highly competitive healthcare coverage. Including: medical offered through BCBS (HMO/PPO), dental, and vision offered through VSP
- Flexible Spending Accounts for medical expenses and dependent care expenses
- 401k (traditional and Roth offered) with 50% match on first 6% deferred; Match is vested immediately
- A suite of Moderna paid insurance coverage, including: life insurance, short-term and long-term disability
- Voluntary legal assistance plan
- 15 days' vacation and 7 sick days per year, in addition to a discretionary winter shut down and 11 company paid holidays
- Adoption assistance, competitive parental leave, discount to local childcare centers , as well as access to Care.com
Why join Moderna Therapeutics
We are pioneering a new class of medicines made of messenger RNA, or mRNA. The potential implications of using mRNA as a drug are significant and far-reaching. It could transform not only how certain diseases are treated but also how medicines are discovered, developed and manufactured - at a breadth, scale and speed not common in the biopharma industry.
Since our founding in 2011, we have built the industry's leading mRNA technology platform, the infrastructure to accelerate drug discovery and speed early development, a rapidly expanding pipeline, and an unparalleled team. Our development pipeline includes development candidates for mRNA-based vaccines and therapies spanning several therapeutic areas, and we have multiple clinical trials already underway with other development candidates progressing toward the clinic. In addition, we have a number of discovery programs that are advancing toward the development stage.
We invite you to explore our site to learn more about our company and how we are advancing the promise of mRNA science to improve health and impact lives around the world.
Deliver on the promise of mRNA science to create a new generation of transformative medicines for patients.
Moderna is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person's race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Moderna will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in a