As administrative officers responsible for comprehensive programmatic delivery on the New Orleans campus, the Regional Dean is responsible to the Dean.
Duties and Responsibilities
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following, with other duties that may be assigned by the Dean.
- Represent the Office of the Dean in all local matters relating to the College of Pharmacy within the assigned region. Typical functions include representing the College to external organizations, institutions and agencies, and campus-wide bodies, plan and implement student activities and campus events (e.g. CE programs, assessment days, applicant interviews, etc.) in collaboration with the appropriate Associate Dean.
- Assign duties and supervise the professional and clerical staff assigned to the Regional Campus to balance workloads and meet programmatic needs on the campus.
- Develop partnerships and negotiate professional services contracts with health-systems, community pharmacies, and other organizations for education, patient care, and research within the assigned region.
- Collaborate with campus assigned faculty to meet the day-to-day operational needs of the academic program delivery on the regional campus, consulting with the respective department head as appropriate.
- Assist in the recruitment of students in the assigned region.
- In concert with the Office of Student and Professional Affairs, coordinate student organizational and alumni activities in the region.
- Establish clerkship sites to meet the experiential curriculum and monitor and evaluate the quality of the site and preceptors on the Regional Campus.
- Develop and maintain an infrastructure for purchasing, accounting, and computer support that is optimal within the Regional Campus.
- Coordinate with the Department Heads the recruitment, orientation, anddevelopment of faculty within the region.
- Forward recommendations to the Department Heads for Adjunct Faculty appointments. Foster individual and collaborative research among the faculty. Serve on the following College and University Committees to represent the Regional Campus
- College of Pharmacy Administrative Council
- College of Pharmacy Dean’s Council
- College of Pharmacy Dean's Advisory Council
- Conduct fundraising activities for college development and student scholarships within the assigned region. Teach in assigned didactic courses and, if appropriate, clerkships. Maintain an active scholarship program with at least one publication each year. Seek extramural funding for scholarship. Actively participate in at least one professional/scientific association in region, Louisiana, and nationally.
Education and/or Experience: Have an earned professional pharmacy degree (Preferred) (B.S. or Pharm.D.) and a terminal degree if the professional degree is a not a Pharm.D.; five years relevant experience in pharmacy education. Documented accomplishments in teaching, research, and service at a level to be appointed as a tenured professor/associate professor in one of the academic departments of the College.
Language Skills: Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Ability to read, analyze and interpret common scientific and technical journals, financial reports, and legal documents. Ability to respond to common inquires or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, faculty, staff, students, and members of the profession of pharmacy and other business entities. Ability to write speeches and articles for publication that conform to prescribed style and format. Ability to effectively present information to individuals at all levels, ranging from children to members of boards of director and legislators.
Reasoning Abilities: Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions to solve problems and plan initiatives. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with various abstract and concrete variables.
Other Qualifications: Demonstrated ethical behavior, professionalism, interpersonal skills, leadership and management abilities sufficient to effectively direct the support staff. Imminent knowledge of current professional trends in pharmacy, and general knowledge of current trends in the pharmacy practice relating as they relate to curricular aspects of the college. Knowledge of current trends in outcomes assessment strategies. Utility of these knowledge bases to relate curricular aspects of the program to outcomes assessment. Detailed working knowledge of accreditation standards as they relate to pharmacy education.
Work Environment: Normal job functions performed within a standard office environment. Exposure to clinical patient care and/or research laboratories is likely. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Supervises the professional and clerical staff assigned to the Regional Campus. Responsibilities include assigning work, evaluating performance, and rewarding or disciplining employees who report directly to the Regional Dean, as well as addressing complaints and resolving problems of persons who report to those individuals reporting directly to the Regional Dean. Handle the day-to-day programmatic needs with campus faculty, consulting with department chairs and division heads as appropriate.
Interested individuals should send a letter of interest, curriculum vitae, and the names and contact information for three professional references.
Apply for Regional Dean
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly