Principal Scientist – DNA-Encoded Library Technology
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. The difference between potential and achievement lies in the spark that fuels innovation and inventiveness; this is the space where Merck has codified its legacy for over a century. Merck’s success is backed by ethical integrity, forward momentum, and an inspiring mission to achieve new milestones in global healthcare.
Merck is on a quest for cures and is committed to being the world’s premier, most research-intensive biopharmaceutical company. Today, we’re doubling down on this goal. Merck Research Laboratories is a true scientific research facility of tomorrow, and will take Merck’s leading discovery capabilities and world-class small molecule and biologics R&D expertise to create breakthrough science that radically changes the way we approach serious diseases.
Merck Research Laboratories is seeking a talented and highly motivated Principal Scientist to join our expanding DNA-Encoded Library (DEL) team at our research site in Kenilworth, NJ. This position requires an in-depth knowledge of all aspects of DNA-encoded library technology (DELT) and extensive hands-on experience with the design, reaction development and synthesis of DNA-encoded libraries, as well as data analysis, hits validation and Hit-to-Lead optimization. This individual will significantly contribute to the overall DELT strategy and the advancement of this technology to its full potential at Merck. The incumbent will play a leading and highly influential role in the design and synthesis of Merck DNA-encoded libraries, and the development of novel DEL-compatible reactions. She/he will seek to identify, design, and synthesize novel building blocks and find new ways to assemble these into drug-like compounds for library synthesis. The incumbent will collaborate closely with other functions across the Merck discovery organization, with external research institutions and Contract Research Organizations (CROs) to effectively execute on our DELT strategy.
- Ph.D. in Chemistry, Biochemistry, or related field
- A minimum of 5 years of industry experience with DNA-encoded library (DEL) design, reaction development, library synthesis and successful application of DEL to discovery programs
- A proven track record of drug discovery and/or synthetic organic chemistry
- Independent and self-motivated
- Excellent communication, collaboration and leadership skills in a team environment
- Experience with training and mentoring team members in a drug discovery environment
- Track record of independently managing the scientific execution of a project, working effectively with colleagues as well as external contract researchers to deliver on objectives
- Experience with lab automation and parallel synthesis
- Experience with modern chemo- and/or bio-catalysis
- Experience with modern chemo-informatics, computational tools and scientific software in drug discovery, and the ability to apply data-mining, data visualization and other techniques to complex datasets.
- Excellent organizational skills and a proven track record in managing complex workflow
Your role at Merck is integral to helping the world meet new breakthroughs that affect generations to come, and we’re counting on your skills and inventiveness to help make meaningful contributions to global medical advancement. At Merck, we’re inventing for life.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
Employee Status: Regular
Travel: Yes, 5 % of the Time
Number of Openings:
Shift (if applicable):
Company Trade Name: Merck