Senior Specialist, Engineering Maintenance & Utilities
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. The difference between potential and achievement lies in the spark that fuels innovation and inventiveness; this is the space where Merck has codified its legacy for over a century. Merck’s success is backed by ethical integrity, forward momentum, and an inspiring mission to achieve new milestones in global healthcare.
Merck Manufacturing Division, MMD, is a team of dedicated, energetic individuals who are committed to being the most trusted supplier of pharmaceuticals and health products worldwide. Our facilities, along with our external contractors, suppliers, and partners, comprise an interdependent global manufacturing network that’s committed to delivering a compliant, reliable supply to customers and patients on time, every time, across the globe.
As a member of the Engineering, Maintenance, & Utility Department, is accountable for the management of maintenance and reliability engineers supporting a defined manufacturing area. This group is responsible for improving asset reliability and manufacturing capacity by providing technical support in the field on engineering resolution of manufacturing mechanical or automation problems, processes in compliance with GMP, safety, and environmental regulations. Incumbent is responsible for the development of objectives and projects and upon approval, implements by self or subordinates.
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Reports to the Associate Director, Engineering, Maintenance, & Utilities, working with independent judgment and minimal supervision, and serving in the Manager's absence as delegated.
- Maintains an effective organization via appropriate employee involvement, communications, and principle centered leadership. Promotes development and accountability of all employees. Establishes clear expectations and objectives to guide area and employees' performance and provides timely feedback, training, and coaching.
- Champions the preventive and predictive maintenance program within your area of responsibility, reviews equipment history for reliability concerns, performs root cause analysis, and identifies reliability improvement opportunities and applications for predictive maintenance technologies to reduce maintenance costs. Develops maintenance and repair strategy for bi-annual shutdowns
- Assists/leads Operations, maintenance supervisors, mechanics, automation engineers, process engineers and Quality representatives in troubleshooting equipment problems as well as investigating manufacturing atypical events related to system failure or malfunction.
- Well versed in process/equipment change control procedures.
- Serves as the project engineer and manager for small projects including scope development, design support, field execution and commissioning/qualification testing.
- Also acts as technical liaison for capital projects and development of the area's capital plan. Identifies spare parts and stand-by equipment needed to assure maximum capacity and reliability.
- Supports maintenance scheduling and planning processes in area of responsibility.
- Supports positive safety culture and participates in HAZOP reviews and Safety inspections. Promotes open communications, inclusion and team work.
- Authors Standard Operating Procedures or User Manuals and assists in training development for mechanics and supervisors.
- Assists in the preparation of process studies, engineering standards, equipment utilization, and profit plan.
- Explains and enforces all GMPs, safety, and environmental regulations.
- Assist in audits, regulatory inspections and training in the area of responsibility.
- Bachelor’s Degree or higher (Engineering or Science) – OR – a 4-Year Engineering Technology Degree – OR – demonstrated equivalent work experience
- Minimum of five (5) years of manufacturing or technical support group experience or equivalent work experience
- Proficiency in the following competencies: empowering leadership, flexibility, motivation, teamwork/collaboration, problem-solving, communication, and computer skills, project management
- Demonstrated competency in Change Control procedures
- Knowledge and expertise in the application of engineering standards (i.e. ASME, IEEE, NFPA, CFR 1910, NIST, and/or ANSI).
- Working Knowledge of cGMP for pharmaceutical and/or vaccine manufacturing, Lean Six Sigma Methodology, Root Cause Analysis, Failure Mode Effects Analysis
- Knowledge in reliability engineering (including asset life cycle management) as well as Computerized Management Maintenance Systems (CMMS) and SAP
- CMRP certification
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
Employee Status: Regular
Number of Openings:
Shift (if applicable):
Company Trade Name: Merck