Associate Director, Operational Excellence (Lean Manufacturing)
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. The difference between potential and achievement lies in the spark that fuels innovation and inventiveness; this is the space where Merck has codified its legacy for over a century. Merck’s success is backed by ethical integrity, forward momentum, and an inspiring mission to achieve new milestones in global healthcare.
Merck Manufacturing Division, MMD, is a team of dedicated, energetic individuals who are committed to being the most trusted supplier of pharmaceuticals and health products worldwide. Our facilities, along with our external contractors, suppliers, and partners, comprise an interdependent global manufacturing network that’s committed to delivering a compliant, reliable supply to customers and patients on time, every time, across the globe.
Merck Production Systems (MPS) is an integratedproduction system for how we design, manage, and continuously improve ouroperations and supporting business processes, enabled through the developmentof our people. The MMD (Merck Manufacturing Division) MPS Team is responsiblefor driving MPS throughout the organization to enable change in the operatingsystems, management systems, and mindsets, behaviors and capabilities of ourpeople to produce product at the highest quality, for the lowest cost, and inthe shortest lead time.
Under the direction of the MPS Director, the AssociateDirector will work with leaders and sites to continue embedding MPS into thebusiness with focus on the Global Quality organization and the ExternalManufacturing organization. Approximately 50% of the time will be spenton the floor providing direct, hands on support of activities, while 25% willbe spent coaching leaders within assigned area of responsibility. Due to thenature of the work and diversity of sites, expected travel will be about 50%.
- Partner with and consult functional leaders, qualitymanagers and their teams to develop plans and execute performance improvementactivities
- Influence and link improvement objectives tothe highest division priorities
- Develop Lean management and peopledevelopment processes and plans
- Manage end-to-end processes and projects todrive results and realize intended business benefit
- Utilize various Lean and Six Sigma tools andtechniques in conjunction with the House of MPS to diagnose, analyze andimprove Quality Control testing processes, Quality Assurance processes,manufacturing processes and businessprocesses
- Provide teaching and coaching to effectivelytransfer Lean skills into the organization for the development of Lean Leaders
- Provide guidance for Merck’s structure andoperations and identify key business opportunities through utilizing financialdata and industry knowledge and trends
- Proactively recognize and mitigate barriersto cross-functional initiatives and can act as an intermediary acrossdivisional, geographical, and cultural boundaries
- Promote a culture of continuous improvementand challenging the status quo, while driving departmental/regional strategiesthat align with Merck’s long term strategy
- Manage teams to mitigate risk, allocateresources, and drive on time completion of initiatives
- Mentor others on effective communication andactive listening techniques to fuller understand client/customer needs andexpectations
- Lead value deep process analysis throughvalue stream mapping to measure stagnation of inventory and information and canlead kaizen to increase capacity and improve process performance
- Develop visual controls and framework to makeproblems visible and responds with urgency to effectively break down complexproblems, lead root cause analysis, and develop effective countermeasures
- Lead and coach kaizen with a team to achievemultiple target conditions to achieve an overall challenge
- Leadkaizen to improve standardized work
- Design balanced work to take time, withsmooth flow and leads kaizen to reduce lead time, inventory, and change-overtime
- Apply DMAIC methodology and statisticalanalysis to solve complex problems with multiple independent variables
- Able to engage sponsor s and clients, leadmajor changes, and effectively coach senior leaders and value stream Managers
- Build trust and develop new relationshipswith internal and external clients to effectively collaborate and achievesuccessful outcomes at a regional/global
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Supply Chain, Engineering, or related field
- Minimum of eight (8) years’ experience with hands-on application of Lean tools andtechniques: standardized work, scientific problem solving, value stream mapping,mistake proofing, SMED, 5S-Visual Factory
- Minimum of five (5) years related experience leading advanced lean deployments in a highly complex environment
- Experience analyzing complex end-to-end supply chains and driving process improvement
- Experience applying consultative skills:ability to influence decision making, ability to interact with all levels ofthe business (senior leaders to shop floor working teams), project managementskills (demonstrated experience in managing large teams), solid businessacumen, proven team building skills, exceptionally good listening skills,results oriented, strong analytical skills, and prior process improvementexperience
- Coaching, Teaching, and driving a HighPerformance Organization.
- Proven experience in coaching and teaching others tothink, behave and apply lean methods and tools.
- Experience enabling andleveraging diverse perspectives, talents, etc. to achieve business outcomes
- Extensive Lean application experience, deepunderstanding and successful application of Toyota Production Systems (TPS)
- Excellent skills using IT applications toorganize and analyze data (MS-Access, MS-Excel, Minitab)
- Experience in operations management,manufacturing, or related disciplines
- Experience managing QC and/or QA processes
- Secondary degree in supply chain or businessadministration
Your role at Merck is integral to helping the world meet new breakthroughs that affect generations to come, and we’re counting on your skills and inventiveness to help make meaningful contributions to global medical advancement. At Merck, we’re inventing for life.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to email@example.com.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
Job: Business Consulting
Employee Status: Regular
Travel: Yes, 75 % of the Time
Number of Openings:
Shift (if applicable):
Company Trade Name: Merck